Scribusoid

Author Topic: image problems when creating pdf for Print - no problem when using Web/Screen  (Read 4397 times)

wgregori

I'm using Scribus 1.4.1 Linux (great program).  I'm having problems with image color when creating PDFs for Print.  When creating the same pdf for Screen/Web they colors look fine.  Additionally, the images that are problematic are those that I have previously edited and saved with GIMP 2.8.

Here is an example of two images, one edited with gimp and the other not
http://imm.io/Dt4j

Thanks for any ideas that you might have.
Wayne

utnik

hi wayne

i need more infos:
  • gimp export format (jpg, png…)
  • color system (cmyk, rgb / with or without alpa channel) and color profile
  • generated pdf version (1.3, 1.4, 1.5, x-3)
  • export color profile in scribus
maybe we can help when we know this details…

utnik

Nermander

A PDF created For Print will have CMYK colors, they will look different when viewed on screen.

Only use "for print" if you really need a CMYK PDF (in most cases you probably don't).

toyotadesigner

• Active Scribus Mac User
    • architectural, industrial and business photographer
Wayne, the image looks like heavily modified in Gimp.

If you want to prepare a document for printing, you should convert the images in Gimp to CMYK - if it is possible.

Or you might ask your printer if you can submit a PDF X/3 file, which allows you to place RGB files directly in Scribus, and the RIP (raster image processor) of the printer will convert the images according to their requirements.

If you have a calibrated monitor you shouldn't see a big differences between an RGB and a CMYK image. It might look a tad more saturated in CMYK, that's all. But you image looks really weird to me - too much sharpening applied and a halo around the person.

Does Gimp already offer 16/48 bit image editing? If so, I'd turn it on and work in the 16/48 bit mode.
Nur wenige wissen, wie viel man wissen muss, um zu wissen, wie wenig man weiss.
Only few know how much you have to know to know how little you know.
Sólo unos pocos saben lo mucho que hay que saber para saber lo poco que se sabe.

— Werner Heisenberg [German theoretical physicist]

palmate