Column flow

Previous topic - Next topic

BN_Dev

Hi folks,

(apologies for repost, the image was not showing and there was no post edit feature)

Is there an analogous feature in Scribus for the QuarkXPress "column flow" feature?  This enables a single text frame to take a paragraph (normally the first) out of the normal column flow and wrap it over 1-n columns, and apply separate formatting to it.

It's super useful for keeping a headline and story together in one text frame that can be repositioned and resized, without having to create various different frames and group them and manually modify them when you want to change the layout.  This makes the layout process super quick and easy.

Many thanks,
Paul
Developer in the print industry with Quark expertise. Use KDE on Linux & macOS. Code in Qt/C/C++/Java/PHP/JS/more. FOSS advocate.

utnik

hi paul

unfortunately this is missing im scribus.
i used to place a separate frame on top of the normal frame with the columns and let the text in the normal frame flow around the 'title' and/or 'leading text' frame.
it's just a workaround. you need to adjust the frame when editing the leading text. but for smaller projects it is doable.
this was requested as a useful feature a couple of years ago.

utnik

BN_Dev

Thanks utnik, I have added our use case and other information to the existing ticket. Hopefully the developers could consider this. I'm sure you're aware how much more productive the feature would make doing layouts; on a large publication it adds up to entire hours per day per person! Many thanks, Paul
Developer in the print industry with Quark expertise. Use KDE on Linux & macOS. Code in Qt/C/C++/Java/PHP/JS/more. FOSS advocate.