Recent posts

Beginner Talk / Re: Old style lowercase number...
Last post by PatJr - March 08, 2024, 10:42:49 PM
wow, didn't know about that
seems to very dependent on the font as to what options are available
I didn't see any that would set the numbers like the old style
maybe there is a character code for the old style numbers?
Beginner Talk / Re: Old style lowercase number...
Last post by scriber - March 08, 2024, 04:24:57 PM
After years I found an answer for the above question.

Tried to install Adobe Source Serif font on my system and insert some numbers in a text frame, tried with a random yar for instance:

Now under "text proprieties" and "font features" appear three options related to numbers:

- Default numbers
- Lining
- Elzevirians

In my italian localized interface I read "Elzeviriani".
And this last option produce what I was looking for, the numbers of date "1967" became "oldstyle" with number 1 smaller and "in line", 9 and 7 with "descenders", and number 6 with ascender.

I tried with an other font: URW Palladio (it's on my system thanks to texlive installation):

https://www.tug.org/FontCatalogue/urwpalladio/

But this time seems there aren't any "font feature" listed under "text proprieties"... but the font should support old style numbers.

Any hint?
Features / Re: [SOLVED] Feature request: ...
Last post by a.l.e - March 08, 2024, 07:39:15 AM
no need to feel bad.

the feature is really well hidden!
Features / Re: Feature request: Relink mi...
Last post by Finn Krogvig - March 07, 2024, 11:41:39 PM
 THANKS!

That does work for me (too).

Since I am really new to Scribus I did not think of "Extras > Manage images" as a place to "relink" missing files. My bad. 
PDF Generation / Re: PDF form fields not being ...
Last post by AdmFubar - March 07, 2024, 09:25:47 PM
Quote from: garydale on March 07, 2024, 04:23:17 PMThanks. I have trouble printing from a GUI program because my server doesn't run a GUI. For the last year or so, I haven't been able to print from my (GUI) workstation to my server - CUPS doesn't seem to like doing that - possibly because the versions are different.

Do you print remotely from any other system to your server based printer? If no, then why not connect it directly to your workstation?
What type of printer do you have? make and model?
Last post by a.l.e - March 07, 2024, 04:30:05 PM
personally, i avoid printing from linux.
i have struggled too much in the past, and, nowadays, there are alternatives (and i don't print that much anymore...)

if the printer has the feature, i copy the pdf to a usb drive, plug it into the printer and it just works.

otherwise i put the usb drive in a windows computer and print from there...
Last post by garydale - March 07, 2024, 04:23:17 PM
Thanks. I have trouble printing from a GUI program because my server doesn't run a GUI. For the last year or so, I haven't been able to print from my (GUI) workstation to my server - CUPS doesn't seem to like doing that - possibly because the versions are different.

My workstation runs Debian/Trixie while my server runs Debian/Bookworm. Back it was Bookworm versus Bullseye I also couldn't print. However I can print from Bookworm to Bookworm.

Just another of the many problems I've been having with CUPS lately, as the CUPS team seems intent on forcing us to buy new IPP-ready printers.  :(

But that's a topic for a different forum.
User Interface / Re: Improve the nodes editing
Last post by a.l.e - March 07, 2024, 03:45:31 PM
i went through a few of the buttons you suggest to remove:

the four shear buttons

they can be of some use when one "shears" a frame...

for rectangles -- probably the most frequent use case -- it seems easy to do the same by moving each of the two relevant pairs of corners.

for circles, the buttons give a nice "oval" effect that cannot (easily) be done without a tool that also moves the nodes handles.

i'm not sure how this can be useful for irregular shapes and beziers.

for my taste, the four buttons take too much space but i'm not sure they should be removed

mirroring horizontally / vertically

one can achieve the same with the same buttons in the properties palette.
not sure they are needed.

editing the contour line

the feature must stay. but there should be a better way to switch between the two modes (much faster back and forth and both lines should be visible at the same time).
not sure if both should be editable at the same time (most of all, because, at the start, both values are at the same place)

resetting the contour line is also a necessary feature.

absolute coordinates

Not sure what the "absolute to canvas" means, but i can think of cases where it's useful to know or set the absolute value on the page.

resetting the control points

well, every program has this and it's probably needed : - )

my summary

some of the commands in the palette are not really needed (or are in the way) but many of them provide access to useful features. sadly, rather often, in a sub optimal way.

there is much room for improvement : - )

but, on the bright side, martin has already redone the icons for the palette and in 1.7svn it looks already much better!

nodes.png
Scripts and Plugins / Re: difference between direct ...
Last post by a.l.e - March 07, 2024, 01:09:54 PM
here are some notes about debugging scribus scripts:

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-manual-scripts/blob/master/content/debugging.md

feedback welcome!

ciao
a.l.e
Last post by a.l.e - March 07, 2024, 08:40:27 AM
i wouldn't be surprised if "lp" has no support for pdf forms...

as admfubar wrote, you should probably use a pdf reader with support for pdf forms
(the one you have used to fill the form...) and print from there.

then you have more chances to get the expected result.