Recent posts

Installation and Setup / Scribus 1.6.1 app image crashe...
Last post by Lemuria - February 26, 2024, 07:03:34 PM
$ ./scribus-1.6.1-linux-x86_64.AppImage
Run experimental bundle that bundles everything
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, webgl, xcb.

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04, and QMake tells me this:
QMake version 3.1
Using Qt version 5.12.8 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

I have no idea how to get Scribus 1.6.1 to even run, let alone how to upgrade Qt.
Text and Typography / Re: Is there an easier way to ...
Last post by a.l.e - February 26, 2024, 07:00:23 PM
for your first goal (sorting the recipes alphabetically in each toc's chapter) you should indeed be able to use the TOC tool scribus provides (if your a bit of a masochist) or the TOC script i have created (https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository/tree/master/table_of_contents, if you're brave enough to want to learn how to run scripts inside of scribus), select the lines in each chapter and then use a script (i guess i will volunteer to create it) to sort the selection (so you will need to learn how to use scripts anyway...)

if you want an index with the ingredient, you will probably need to create a real index (or suffer a lot by duplicating the content in "hidden" fields and use the TOC tool provided by scribus... but i'm not sure it can do it).
but, even then, it all depends on how you want to present the result.

i don't know how much content you already have, but i would like to suggest you to start putting in three or four recipes and then manually prepare an TOC and an index the way you want them to be... and show the result.

finally, i will start a topic explaining how to share files in this forum and link it later...
Last post by oida - February 26, 2024, 05:22:36 PM
Hi,
thank you for your interest. I'm just retired and a enthusiastic Hobby Chef and some of my friends, better some of their wifes  :D asked me to share my recipes with them. And after retiring i have the time to do this.

To cut a long story short, the book will be about 50 - 80 pages and divided into usual Chapters like Starter, Main Dishes, Deserts and Snacks. These Chapters divide into "cold Dishes / hot food, green - vegan ..... In the index section all dishes should be assigned alphabetically.
I also consider using calibre to convert the pdf to ebook, so eventually a index based on the main ingredients would be an option.

On every recipe's page i will place a photo.

I am on the Linux side, my Software is Debian 12, Scribus Version 1.5.8, the used Hardware is a Lenovo Thinkpad P14s, AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB Ram

Hmm, i don't know how to attach a .sla file  ::) , so please give me a hint.
Last post by a.l.e - February 26, 2024, 11:36:43 AM
Do you want to create an index?

Because I have never seen a TOC sorted.

Some time ago, i have been working on a script for creating an index in Scribus but I could not get to something i was happy with.

One for the reasons was, that I didn't have a real world sample to use as a reference.

If you're ready to share more details about the needs of your project and some .sla files, I might be willing to continue my exploration and, with a bit of luck, come up with something you can use.
Text and Typography / Is there an easier way to form...
Last post by oida - February 25, 2024, 10:51:22 PM
Hallo,

i just started experimenting with Scribus (1.5.8) for my project and there is one issue i have some headache, especially sorting the Table of contents. What i want: all enties sorted alphabetical and formatted as any TOC.
Well, what i do at moment is : Create the table, export the text and then i do it with cmd line "sort -k1 index.txt > indexsort.txt", the reinsert the file and format it with tabulator settings.

Is there a way to do this directly in Scribus ?

Thank you in advance for any help
Free discussion / Re: Writing a book with scribu...
Last post by oida - February 25, 2024, 05:54:54 PM
Hallo,

after playing around with Scribus for this weekend i decided to give it a try and do my project with scribus, living with the do's and dont's. For sure i have some open points, but hoipefully all them can be solved  ;D

All the best and stay safe
User Interface / Re: Improve the nodes editing
Last post by tim_occ - February 25, 2024, 05:34:03 PM
Thanks for your description. I checked Vectorpea, Figma, Penpot and Inkscape and compared them.
Vectorpea, Figma and Penpot are very similar, so I will focus on them here only.

If I combined the behavior of Vectorpea, Figma and Penpot it would be like this:
  • Click on a single node, show all controls of neighbor nodes only
  • Click & Drag on a control (2 modes):
    • If controls are symmetric: changes angle of both controls; length of selected one
    • If controls are asymmetric: changes angle and length of selected only
  • Click & Drag + ALT on a control unlink this control (asymmetric)
  • Click & Drag + SHIFT on a control snap angle in 45° steps (or 15° like in Inkscape)
  • Click + CTRL on node (3 modes):
    • If asymmetric controls: link both controls with same length and same angle (symmetric)
    • If symmetric controls: control length of both is 0 (corner node)
    • If corner node: controls get new calculate length and are symmetric

Needed Inputs:
  • Mouse (click + drag)
  • ALT key
  • SHIFT key
  • CTRL key

Modifier:
  • ALT = unlink
  • SHIFT = grid
  • CTRL = mode toggle

Figma and Penpot have additional settings to change the node and controls behavior via separate settings. In case you don't like the keyboard shortcuts or don't know them.
Free discussion / Re: Writing a book with scribu...
Last post by oida - February 24, 2024, 08:55:45 PM
Quote from: Nermander on February 24, 2024, 02:19:37 PMAlso footnotes and index are things that Scribus does not really handle well yet. Table of contents is (at least was, the last time I looked) frame based in Scribus, not based on headings as in most other programs.
Since i had to type almost all of the recipes creating a TableOfContents based on frames will be ok for me and the handling of the TOC in Scribus looks very easy.
Scripts and Plugins / Monthly Calender - Force lineb...
Last post by Mikrojumbo - February 24, 2024, 04:45:09 PM
Is it possible to force linebreak in the hollidays.txt, eg. if there are multiple birthdays on the same day?
Scripts and Plugins / Re: Monthly-Calendar-Script, s...
Last post by Mikrojumbo - February 24, 2024, 04:40:03 PM
OK, and then it can actualy be done from the settings:

F4-->Par_style_Date-->Character Style-->Advanced Formatting Section-->Baseline offset