Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: creating visiting-card
« Last post by Eos on August 27, 2021, 04:09:46 pm »
Thanks Rob, i'm going to work it out this weekend.
« Last post by RodneyLee on August 27, 2021, 04:06:10 pm »
so did you get it to work yet?, if not can you share the .sla
« Last post by RobSay on August 26, 2021, 08:12:36 pm »
In which case we're in total agreement!
That's a very open ended question - but fundamentally the answer is yes you can do this in Scribus.

How you do this depends very much on your source material - and requires different techniques in scribus to achieve the effect you want. This will require learning something of how Scribus (and documents in general) work with and format Text.

Source already has the lists ... as paragraph styles
- easiest but least likely .... simply create a frame and 'Get text' from the source file means the style comes across as well. Edit this new paragraph style in scribus to apply whatever effect you want and it will get picked up by every paragraph using this style.

Source already has the lists ... not as styles
- edit the source and make the lists a style .... then see above.

Source does not include the list .. but has some sort of markers or data that can be used for start and end (such as the dates themselves)
- This is *definitely* not a 'beginner task', this is writing a program to modify data - whatever application you use.
- Get Text in scribus frame - then use Scripter to find the text to be formatted and apply a paragraph style
- I would only do automate this if you're doing it multiple times ... and the target date is likely to change.

Whatever you do it always ends up with a Scribus paragraph style that is applied to your list data. I would suggest creating a text frame with 10 separate lines of text in scribus and learn about paragraph styles. Each of the ten lines is a paragraph with 'Style=Default Paragraph Style'. Styles are really important .. and I don't just mean 'styling' by applying a paragraph effect to the selected paragraph.
I have a huge text file with entries of text in chronological order. I want be able to make lists on demand from, for example, things that appear on pages 8 and 35, and another lost of things that appear on pages 2, 50, and 100.

Is there a way to apply tags to chunks of texts and be able to compile instant lists of those tags' contents on demand?

Or do you know of another program that can do this?
« Last post by RodneyLee on August 26, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »
I was thinking Tables, sorry about that
« Last post by RobSay on August 25, 2021, 06:53:31 pm »
Don't use frames, ...

?

This statement is confusing, everything on the page is a frame. If you want text: Insert > Text Frame
« Last post by RodneyLee on August 25, 2021, 04:44:42 pm »
Don't use frames, just draw your layout with non printing lines, group your items to be cut and pasted then cut and paste, I think you might find it easier.
Linux / Re: Colorprofile for print not shown
« Last post by toyotadesigner on August 25, 2021, 01:16:08 pm »
Did you try a softproof with a PDF viewer? A (good) PDF viewer should be able to use the color profile.
« Last post by RobSay on August 25, 2021, 03:08:52 am »
First off - welcome to the club.

The answer to your question depends on how your visiting cards are getting printed.

... And the first thing to get out there is what Scribus is intended for - its primary purpose is the generation of print ready PDFs .. for a print shop. Print shops have big machines that do cutting and trimming.

If you're getting the cards printed - just create a document with a page at the size of your card. Export as PDF with trim and bleed marks and let the print shop go from there ...

On the the other hand if you're printing (and trimming) from home then you have two options:
  • Create the card as tho for the print shop, duplicate the page 12 times and use your printer settings to print multiple pages to a sheet.
  • Create an A4 sheet and copy frames to create a '12 to a sheet' layout

From your description you've already gone with option 2 - which is perfectly doable (although requires some maths for margins) ... in which case:
  • I would start with a blank document and add 4 horizontal and 2 vertical guides to the page to create a 3 by 4 grid ... and the 4th horizontal guide is for your printers bottom margin. You don't actually need these but it helps visualise the page.
  • Create text frames as needed in the top left corner taking care to think about *margins* and white space around this 'card'
  • Once you're happy and assuming you have multiple frames in your design .. 'Ctrl+A' (select all), 'Ctrl+G' (group), Ctrl+C (copy), Ctrl+V (paste)
  • Align & Distribute options - align the newly pasted group horizontally to the centre
  • Paste again - align and distribute this object to the right of the page
  • You should now have a row of three cards across the top of the page distributed evenly
  • Select all (three items), Group, Copy, Paste - align to bottom of the page ... but move up to cater for any print margins
  • You should now have two rows at top and bottom of the page
  • Paste two more rows, then select all (four rows) and use Distribute to create equal space between them
  • Export as PDF, print and guillotine as needed

Note that at no point in the above did I mention tables - they are, IMHO, not your friend in this scenario.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10