Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Installation and Setup / Re: Cannot browse any directory
« Last post by toyotadesigner on June 08, 2021, 04:33:48 pm »
You are right — just checked the »Preferences« and there it is in the »Paths« section. Never checked it before <sigh>
« Last post by RodneyLee on June 08, 2021, 04:13:05 pm »
Can you set your default paths to the locations needed?
« Last post by toyotadesigner on June 08, 2021, 11:20:18 am »
Hi Rosemary, Scribus seems to always start in the »USER« folder, which in Unix and macOS is something like ~/Users/username. For you — the user — it looks like »/« or just a blank window, or it starts with the last folder where you saved your Scribus file. In my case, it always falls back to the »Documents« folder, even though the Scribus folder is located even further down the tree. Never managed to understand the logic behind this behaviour.
« Last post by Rosemary on June 08, 2021, 09:26:25 am »
Thanks, toyotadesigner,

I appreciate your help.

The issue is not that I can't see the files because the window is too small. It's that I can't see the folders or files I want to use in the first place. Those pathways are just not there. yet, when I view the folders and files via Control Panel or File Explorer, I can see them just fine.

Also, I've accessed all sorts of file formats using the 'Get Image' function in the past, including PNG files. This says to me that the issue is with Scribus, Windows 10 or both, rather than with the files themselves.

Drag and drop does work, though. I just hadn't accessed image files that way before.
PDF Generation / Re: Incorrect tab order for radio buttons
« Last post by micro on June 07, 2021, 02:29:36 pm »
I can confirm this is now fixed in the latest 1.5.8svn - sensational!

Many thanks to jghali.
« Last post by toyotadesigner on June 07, 2021, 12:32:51 pm »
I've never used this type of import. I'm using XnView MP for macOS, where I select several image files and drag them onto a page in Scribus.

Your sample showed a *.png, which can have some weird subformats (interlaced, reduced colors, transparency, even all 3 versions in one file). Did you ever try to place a JPEG or TIFF file? Just tried these formats with your method here (huge 48 bit TIFF with 635 MB), everything is perfect, though it takes some time to be displayed in the preview area.

BTW, because the browse window is kind of small, it might help to scroll sideways or to enlarge it to see more folders on your machine.
« Last post by Rosemary on June 07, 2021, 07:33:03 am »
That's handy to know. Thank you. :)
hi john

It seems from older posts that Automatic text frames only applied to full margin frames…

yes, they fill the area inside the margins.

…if you have a page with two or three text frames nested within those margins, even though most of your pages are full margin text frames, you should not use Automatic text frames in New Document Setup…

i would always use automatic frames for a longer document when lots of pages will use them. but you should break the text chain after each chapter.

Or if using Automatic text frames blows up your document in not easily fixable ways when the text import encounters them?

i don't know what you are talking about. an empty frame wouldn't really blow up your document – and i would delete unused frames anyway…

… if you have, say, a .odt book file that has a few blank pages and then a Title page and a series of pages after that for copyright data, acknowledgements, dedication, and followed by that first Chapter Page-Right sequence before full pages of text.  And the Scribus document is laid out the same.  Where should the import start, with the Title text frames or with the first (blank) page.  What happens after that?

sometimes i don't really understand your workflow.
are you creating the full layout in libreoffice before you import the text, and then you re-create it in scribus?

you may import the whole book and unlink the text frames after title, copyright stuff… and between chapters with 'item' → 'text frame links' → 'unlink text frames and cut text'. but if the document is too big for your computer, you should import chapter by chapter.

utnik
    hi diyplanner

this is exactly what it says. take a look at the numbers on my screenshot:

• the first column shows standard formatting (with 'restart after higher level')
    • in the second column there's no restart. the low level numbering continues with 5.3. (after 3.2.)
    • for the third example i checked both 'restart' boxes.
    utnik
Beginner Talk / Setting a default font other than Ariel for Paragraph Styles
« Last post by JohnJR on June 05, 2021, 10:26:03 pm »
Hi,

I note a fairly recent post on this in 01/2021, but I couldn't glean an answer.  Adopting to using Style Manager, when queried about font, the spin box always is set to Ariel and to select the font I need is a tedious scroll down to click the one I want, every time.  I have tried to follow the File>Document Setup>Item Tools>Text, but the old Ariel spin box just keeps coming back.  This is the case whether selecting either a Paragraph or Character Style.  What do I need to do?

This might have something to do with what I see in the Style Manager as Default Paragraph Style and/or Default Character Style.  Neither of these seems to be changable or delete-able.  Okay, the styles you created are or should be the new defaults grouped under them.  But there is also a category under these labeled "New Style" and can propagate itself as (1), (2),...  These are confusing and have no real meaning or use for your Styles that I can see.  But if you delete them entirely you still are left with "N" or "Ne" and a prompt to name them.  What do these do and I guess how do you get rid of them?

Also if you use a limited number of fonts, say two or three, can you set up a selection box containing just those fonts rather than the long scroll?

Somewhat related, In macOS it seems Paragraph and Character Styles can both be set in Paragraph Style; do I need to essentially duplicate fonts with a corresponding Character Style or does just Paragraph Style suffice for both?  Except for say the rare italicized or bold word and can they just be changed internally in the manner of a word processor?

I think maybe there are two questions mixed up in here that might need to be separated.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
palmate