When to use Scribus?

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelsanchez

I've used Scribus for a magazine style PDF with quite a challenging layout. It was perfect or the task. Generally I use LibreOffice Draw for multi page docs with a simple layout or Inkscape for single pages.

I'm curious to know from people with a better understanding of Scribus' capabilities, which facets of a project shout "Scribus is the tool for this" and generally which Scribus tools make it superior to the likes of LibreOffice and Inkscape?

Nermander

My personal opinion:

Magazines, flyers, brochures etc I think Scribus is most suitable for, publications where essentially each page has its own layout and content, no long stories etc.

Also in some cases it may be useful for books consisting mainly of text.

But where you have a lot of mixed contents and don't want to place everything manually, Scribus is not really the best tool.

I think a lot of us often say that Scribus is a "page layout software", something you use where you want to control the layout of each individual page.

utnik

i use scribus for most print projects (flyers, brochures, books...)
but i prepare most of the content in other programs (like openoffice for text, inkscape for vector graphics and gimp or darktable for images).
what i really like in scribus is the microtypography (and – of course – the high quality .pdf generation...)

utnik

OSDP

If you're just creating projects for web, use the tool you prefer. Also Scribus if you want to learn it.
It is if your project needs prints and professional recommendations (margin guides, bleeds) that scribus is preferable/required. If your project needs a few pages/layers, scribus handles it better I think, even it's not really perfect.
You can manage icc color profiles on scribus. Necessary for professionnal print, potentially useful for the web. This is completely impossible with Libre Office.