[SOLVED] Writing a book with scribus or Libreoffice Writer ?

Previous topic - Next topic

oida

Hallo,

i know the title is a little bit provocative, but let me introduce my self first. I'm a retired photographer and enthusiastic homechef and was asked to give a lot of my recipes to friends. So i want to recap most of my recipes in a small cookbook, which i can give as a gift to my friends.

For yrs i'm on the DebianLinux  ;D  side and so i have Libreoffice (7.2) and Scribus (1.5.8) already on my desk. In the past i used Scribus only for designing onepage flyers and that worked well for me. My knowledge og LO Writer is a little above basic.

The recipes are partly in Libreoffice, partly handwritten so i had to (re)type almost all of them, but that's ok for me.

So, what are the facts:

The book will end up with appx. 100 - 150 pages(recipes, each is one page with a picture, and should include a table of contents and a index, but also some footnotes and, important, a index of incredients (for example G - garlic - pg. xx,yy,zz ...).

I know how the book should look, which format, letter size, layout etc, and it seems that booth programs are fullfilling my needs. Since i have to dive deeper in one of the programs i am struggling which one to use, so hopefully some of you have recommendations for me.

Thank you all in advance for any help and stay safe

PS: Pls excuse my bad english, but my mother language is german (i live in Austria)

Nermander

I would say that since Scribus is mainly a page layout program, it is not very suitable for writing in.

Also footnotes and index are things that Scribus does not really handle well yet. Table of contents is (at least was, the last time I looked) frame based in Scribus, not based on headings as in most other programs.

oida

Quote from: Nermander on February 24, 2024, 02:19:37 PMAlso footnotes and index are things that Scribus does not really handle well yet. Table of contents is (at least was, the last time I looked) frame based in Scribus, not based on headings as in most other programs.
Since i had to type almost all of the recipes creating a TableOfContents based on frames will be ok for me and the handling of the TOC in Scribus looks very easy.

oida

Hallo,

after playing around with Scribus for this weekend i decided to give it a try and do my project with scribus, living with the do's and dont's. For sure i have some open points, but hoipefully all them can be solved  ;D

All the best and stay safe