date hereof

Previous topic - Next topic

renato07

Hi,
I'm setting up a newspaper, and I would insert the today date somewhere in the page. I didn't found any variable for that. I'm wondering if do it exist or maybe a script can work for it.

Any idea?

Thank you

Renato

PatJr

don't think it does
it's experimental but maybe you could use the variable text so then you would only need to enter it once while you're editing

renato07

"variable text"?
Is it a variable? where can I find it?

Renato

a.l.e

variable-date.gif

renato07

Ok, I've found it and inserted into frame text, but what can I do then to replace variable with the value (i.e. "today" with 19/01/2023). I think I must "compile"or whatever action to substitute the variable name with the real value. IS it?

Renato

Nermander

It is shown in the animation how it is changed from "today" to "tomorrow".

renato07

yes, it is shown on the post, but what I'm asking is: how can I swap "today" with "20 January 2024" or something in different format.

Renato

a.l.e

what about using your keyboard?

... or if you're a real hacker a butterfly? ...

but you have to hurry, otherwise "20 January 2024" will already be in the past...

renato07

yes! I will use emacs (is the editor that I use). I've done it and it works! And I will wait for a new version with the date variable.

Thank you

Renato

a.l.e

well, good luck inserting a date field (that you can centrally update) in emacs...

but i know nothing about emacs, so it might have a trick also for that...

Aleks100

Well, Scribus can render Latex code & there is \date in Latex... just kidding, variable text is proper way to do.

renato07

you mean changing the date via emacs or whatever text editor, right?

utnik

hi renato

take another look at ale's screencast. in the third text frame he replaced the entry for the mark labeled 'date' (without an external editor...)

utnik

renato07

still don't understand...
Can I replace the string "today" with a value?

Thank you

Renato

a.l.e

let's try with some italian... maybe the problem is with understanding english...

renato, in italiano, caso mai il problema fosse con l'inglese (la speranza è l'ultima a morire)...

invece di tradurre "tomorrow" con "domani", prova a scrivere "23 gennaio 2024" (che oggi è domani) e vedi l'effetto che fa...

e il giorno seguente, cambia il 23 in 24.
e così via fino all'eternità. (no, non cambi ogni giorno il 23 in 24, poi vengono il 25, il 26, il 27, finché non torni all'1; ma questo ormai spero l'abbiano capito anche i sassi).

perché oggi lavori al giornale di domani, e sul giornale di domani, che impagini oggi, tu vuoi che appaia la data di domani, non la data di oggi. e domani lavorerai al giornale di dopodomani.
e questo vale anche se tu, quando hai scritto "giornale" (newspaper), pensavi piuttosto ad una rivista ("magazine")... solo che, in quel caso, invece di domani avrai qualcosa come il prossimo lunedì (no, non "prossimo lunedì": "29 gennaio 2024"!).

oufh.