Scribus Benchmark Document

Previous topic - Next topic

tim_occ

Hello everybody,

While developing Scribus, I often had difficulty preparing the right test cases to test features and settings. For this reason, I thought about developing a kind of benchmark document. This is known from Blender, for example, where you can compare rendering times and output quality.

So, I have now created something similar for Scribus. This document shows various features of Scribus, e.g. fills and strokes, various shapes, tables, paragraphs and character formatting, images and effects, transparencies, etc.

The purpose of the document is to have a universal reference document to be used for comparisons between canvas, PDF output and different Scribus versions.

I welcome feedback and suggestions for improvement.

If you want to change the document yourself, please only use fonts, graphics and images with a license that allows free distribution.

The following link contains the sla file, all reference files used (images, fonts), and a PDF file of the document. When exporting, I noticed differences between the canvas and PDF (see the inline element in the table)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VzLJv_SgeFMhRCajG3ytqvd3ejSrRvtt

best
Martin

PS: File has been created with Scribus 1.7.0 svn.

Aleks100

So you decided to benchmark Scribus for Catalina and Ventura, not for Windows or Linux? How radical!

tim_occ

Hi Aleks,

no, that was not the intention. I made the file on a Linux machine with Scribus 1.7.0 svn. But this Scribus version should not be the only one that can open the file. I updated the file header of the sla file so that everyone can open it with Scribus 1.6.0 and newer.

For tests under 1.5.x anyone can modify the file header to another version.
<SCRIBUSUTF8NEW Version="1.6.0.">

But I don't know how many changes has been made to the file format between 1.5.x and 1.6.0.

utnik

hi martin

good idea – thanks for the file!

Quote from: tim_occ on January 13, 2024, 05:14:24 PM...I noticed differences between the canvas and PDF (see the inline element in the table)...
do you have any idea what happened to the gradient in this rectangle?

Quote from: tim_occ on January 14, 2024, 12:00:03 PMI don't know how many changes has been made to the file format between 1.5.x and 1.6.0.
afaik. it should be safe to open it with scribus 1.5.8.

utnik

tim_occ

Quote from: utnik on January 14, 2024, 05:48:43 PMdo you have any idea what happened to the gradient in this rectangle?

No, maybe gradients are rendered differently in PDF when they are in an inline object.