PDF not rendering correctly in Google Chrome

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesypeter

Hello,

My local radio club in Crawley produces their club magazine with Scribus. The issue is that when the exported PDF is opened in Google Chrome, the images do not appear. If you open in Adobe or any of the alternatives they show fine.  I have checked and they are using the latest version of Scribus.

Is there any anything I should be asking them to check?

Many thanks

Peter

This is the file viewed in Chrome:

This is the file viewed in Edge

Nermander

Seems this issue is most likely not related to Scribus.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/embedded-image-disappears-from-pdf-when-opened-in-chrome-browser/td-p/12835827

Based on that discussion is looks as if Chrome may not be good at handling transparency. What version of PDF are you exporting to?

jonesypeter

Quote from: Nermander on January 12, 2024, 05:09:53 PMSeems this issue is most likely not related to Scribus.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/embedded-image-disappears-from-pdf-when-opened-in-chrome-browser/td-p/12835827

Based on that discussion is looks as if Chrome may not be good at handling transparency. What version of PDF are you exporting to?

Thanks.  It seems to be the text that is not appearing, the images appear fine.  I will check the export settings and come back to you.  Thanks

Nermander

When the text does not show, it can be that it is white/transparent or potentially a font issue. One way to test it is to try to select the "invisible" text. If you can select it, the text is there.

jonesypeter

Quote from: Nermander on January 12, 2024, 05:17:54 PMOne way to test it is to try to select the "invisible" text. If you can select it, the text is there.

Thanks, tested that and I can select the text in Chrome.  What should I ask the newsletter creator to do, as it appears fine in Adobe Reader and Edge?

Thanks for your help.

Peter

These are the PDF export settings used:

Nermander

It is still difficult to say, but at least you know now the text is there, just that Chrome does not display it. But why, I have no idea.

PatJr

try the 1.3 PDF it doesn't handle transparency as well so the preflight might help point to problems
and post a sample file if you can

jonesypeter

Quote from: PatJr on January 12, 2024, 09:03:14 PMand post a sample file if you can

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm posting the file with the clubs permission. I can pass any suggestions to the newsletter creator who is far my competent with Scribus than me. 

The file is shared with Dropbox.

Dropbox

utnik

hi peter

the blend mode of the layer 'text' (the invisible one) is 'overlay'. all the other layers are set to 'normal'. if you set 'text' to 'normal', it will be displayed in chrome.
what is the reason for this 'overlay' setting?

utnik

PatJr

jonesypeter

Quote from: utnik on January 13, 2024, 02:15:05 PMthe blend mode of the layer 'text' (the invisible one) is 'overlay'. all the other layers are set to 'normal'. if you set 'text' to 'normal', it will be displayed in chrome.
what is the reason for this 'overlay' setting?

Utnik,

Thanks very much.  CHanging to 'normal' seems to have sorted it on my system.  I have asked the magazine creator to check on his system and will feedback when he has tested.

Best wishes

Peter

anitab100

Hello,

I am having the same issue here, except that none of the images are appearing either. There does seem to be some sort of ghost text, but the document appears empty when viewed in Chrome.  It's fine in Safari. I have normal mode on the text layer.

I have also tried outputting to different formats -- all of them in fact, and nothing is working. I even tried taking the pdf file from Scribus and resaving it in Acrobat.  Same result, empty file.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

anitab100

I should point out that I resolved this issue by re-exporting the Scribus PDF using Apple Preview and clicking both options: PDF/A and PDF linear. 

Thanks for the great tool.