Wheel jump setting seems to scroll pixels instead of lines?

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuillere

Hey everybody!
I've installed Scribus a while ago and currently run 1.5.5, on windows 10. (had the same problem with previous versions)
Scribus's scroll has always annoyed me since it was always just a few lines down at a time (a little less than three lines at a time) and my projects tend to be quite long. But today I finally looked up why.
My first thought to change the Windows setting, but quickly realised the setting had to be directly in Scribus. since the Scribus setting "Wheel jump" was to the default 42, I thought it was overridden but I've just set it to five and now my scrolling is less than a line. I'm wondering if Scribus scrolls through pixels instead of lines? Is that possible?

I've looked through the forum and the internet, but have not found anybody having a similar problem (though I'm not native so maybe my terms of search weren't the most optimised). Can anybody help me with this?

For now, I've set it to the maximum (99), but it only scrolls through 5 lines at a time, so that's not helping much.

Nermander

I think (not 100% sure) that the scroll setting in Windows essentially uses arrow down and arrow up scrolling, so one step on the scroll when makes Windows send 5 "down" och 5 "up". This is to make the scroll wheel work also in applications that were written without scroll wheel support.

For applications that have built in support for the scroll wheel the Windows setting does nothing, but the scroll is instead controlled by the application.

Once again, this is my guess, maybe I am completely wrong.

Cuillere

That's what it looks like indeed! Changing the windows setting does nothing: I've closed Scribus, changed the setting from 3 to 50 and started Scribus again but the speed is the exact same. Thanks for your input, I guess this confirms the Scribus setting is not working properly as well.

Nermander

For me the Scribus setting works, but it seems it is limited to two digits.

Setting it to 1 make scrolling very small, 99 seems to me the max.

Not sure what kind of "lines" it refers to though.

Cuillere

It works for me too, Just the max number (99 indeed) is still such a small space that it takes for ever to scroll through projects... :/

a.l.e

i feel a bit stupid saying that but... do you know that you can zoom out the document?

Cuillere

There are no stupid questions and sometimes they can bring on really cool solutions ;) Sadly, when I zoom out, Scribus tends to freeze (because there is then so much info to get onto the screen, I guess). Also, it does change the pace at which it moves a little, but at 12% for example it still only scrolls at one page at a time :/ at 4%, it only goes 2 pages at a time, despite freezing often :/ It's really not very practical. Most of the time, I end up using the scroll bar, which makes it less bad, but it's still nowhere near comfortable.

EDIT: this actually prompted me to check the manual for the setting (how have I not thought about this before???) and the manual DOES say that the wheel jump setting unit is the pixels...
So I guess my question is: can I override it?

2d EDIT : Ah, I got the idea of lines from the tooltip, which does say it's the number of lines that are scrolled by per notch... So... I don't really know what to think.

AdmFubar

While it may not help as much, if you have a mouse with "flywheel" type scroll wheel  unlocking it might make it a little easier. From what you are saying though i doubt it will increase the scroll performance to what you need.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

utnik

i never scroll through a whole 30+ page document (unless i need to look at almost every page...)
usually i jump to the page i need with the page selector at the bottom of the scribus main window. (or at least near this page, if i don't know the exact page number...)
in future releases there will be a useful page preview in the 'arrange pages' window. which is (or will be) another way to jump to a specific document page.

utnik

a.l.e

... and you also have the "page down" key that makes you jump by one page at the time...

Cuillere

Well, thank you everybody for your insights! I'll be trying out all of these and trying to change my habits around a little :)