1.6 Installation Issue

Previous topic - Next topic

steven8

I have been through h-e-double-toothpicks after trying to install 1.6 and am thrilled to still have a working computer.  Got it from the official GitHub page.  Defender and AVG both didn't like it, but I overrode them since I trust Scribus, especially from the official page.  Perhaps I should have stopped, but it's too late now.  I was letting the installer do its thing while I surfed the web, and suddenly the computer restarted on its own.  Although it created a folder under programs full of files, but no uninstaller program, and it doesn't show in add/remove programs.  Only the C++ Redistributable package shows.  I decided to do a system restore, and that hung up for six hours, so I did a hard reboot.  Checksum invalid upon restarting, so I did another hard reboot.  It started, and I could log in, but it has been rough going with a few restarts until it seems okay now.  I've been using Scribus for a long time now, but I am terrified to try and even run 1.6, and I can't figure out how to get it off my computer.  You'd better take a look at the installer.  I think it's corrupted.

I use Windows 11  Build 22621
Scribus 1.6.0 Stable
Windows 11

a.l.e

hi steven

what did you do to get there?

scribus does not have an official github page.

there is a community managed github repository.
which i've updated a few minutes ago and, from there, you can't have got anything runnable on windows in this short lapse of time.

there is a matching github.io page that is unmaintained (and we should probably remove), that says in the very first line that the official site is scribus.net.
and it can't contain anything for 1.6 since it has not been updated in years.
as far i can tell it does not contain any code either.

the main question is: what did you get and from where?

MrB

I know Jean tested his installers on a few virtual machines. I have since tested on a Win11 PC and Win10 virtual machine. No issues with system health. I'm not sure why you went down the system restore path though.
Defender will pop up but that is not a virus indicator - its about App authorisation. The installation scans clean with my BitDefender.

steven8

Quote from: MrB on January 01, 2024, 12:20:53 PMI know Jean tested his installers on a few virtual machines. I have since tested on a Win11 PC and Win10 virtual machine. No issues with system health. I'm not sure why you went down the system restore path though.
Defender will pop up but that is not a virus indicator - its about App authorization. The installation scans clean with my BitDefender.

I went down the system restore path because the program doesn't show on the add/remove programs list.  I have no idea how to get rid of a program if it isn't there.  System restore is not a big deal.  I've used it before.  Takes a number of minutes, and you have a clean slate.  This time, it went wonky, and my fear was the Scribus installer caused it, or put something unwanted on my computer.  You can't blame me for worrying about that. 

I just scanned both the installation file and the installed program with AVG and neither has any threat issues.  I have both 1.4.8 and 1.5.8 installed, and they both have an uninstallation option.  1.6.0 doesn't.  I think the installation crashed partway through, and didn't complete properly.  I am stuck.  Perhaps rerunning the installer would fix things, but after last night, I am a little gun shy on that.

To correct myself, GitHub was not involved.  It was, of course, Sourceforge.
Scribus 1.6.0 Stable
Windows 11

MrB

You can just delete the c:\program files\scribus 1.6.0\ directory manually. Run the installer again and it should complete ok and you will have an uninstaller once the install completes correctly.

steven8

Quote from: MrB on January 01, 2024, 09:30:16 PMYou can just delete the c:\program files\scribus 1.6.0\ directory manually. Run the installer again and it should complete ok and you will have an uninstaller once the install completes correctly.

Worked like a charm.  I'm all good to go.  Thanks!   :D
Scribus 1.6.0 Stable
Windows 11

NemuLumeN

Hello! I just wanted to give details on the installation issues for Windows 11 64bit (official sourceforge build).

The computer rebooting without confirmation during the install also happened to me.

I think it's tied to the packaged vcredist install; the reboot happens right after creating the Scribus directories in AppData.

I have also tried to launch the installer in a Windows sandbox, but the installer did not attempt to close the sandbox. So it happens only when the system has something already installed, such as a newer or older vcredist already installed (this is my guess).

MrB

There's a /norestart option that will be used in the 1.6.1 installer.