I can't seem to get the Widow and Orphan suppression to work

Previous topic - Next topic

ehbowen

I'm setting a novel-length manuscript into Large Print format, and one of the guidelines is the necessity to suppress widows and orphans. I have the text styles set for "Body Text LP" (Large Print) with 18 point Liberation Sans type on 22 point leading and widow/orphan suppression set on 2 lines/2 lines. However, there are multiple instances of orphans in the document. How do I suppress these?

PatJr

dunno, maybe you can post a sample file? try different settinging to see if widow/orphans is working on other settings?

post back if you find the soulution

a.l.e

ehbowen

Quote from: PatJr on December 30, 2023, 02:46:09 PMdunno, maybe you can post a sample file? try different settinging to see if widow/orphans is working on other settings?

How do I attach a sample file here? I'm not seeing a typical attachment command.

a.l.e

You need to use the [Reply] button and not use the the Quick Reply text area at the bottom of this thread...

Then, you can click on "Click or drag files here to attach them." to pick the files you want to upload.
Common image formats and .sla files should be whitelisted.

ehbowen

Quote from: PatJr on December 30, 2023, 02:46:09 PMdunno, maybe you can post a sample file? try different settinging to see if widow/orphans is working on other settings?

Thank you, @a.l.e . Screenshot and sample file are attached; orphan example is at the top of page 10 as rendered on my machine (Ubuntu Studio 22.04 running Scribus 1.5.8 ).

a.l.e

do you want good news?

it's very likely that this year too, there won't be a new scribus released with this bug in it...

anyway, the behavior you noticed has been "documented" more than 10 years ago in

https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10779

smallfreak

Just to keep record:

v 1.6.1 and still problems.

"Do not split paragraphs" along with "keep with next" and "Orphans/Widows = 2" on the next one does still break to the next column between the heading and the text. :-(