how to have three column with image that overlap 2 column

Previous topic - Next topic

renato07

Hi,
today I have a very strange question, that I'm not sure how to explain well.
I would like to have a text layout of 3 columns and a photo that takes up a chunk of the two columns. The text should surround the picture. how can I do this?

Thank you

Renato

utnik

hi renato

select the image frame and under 'properties' (f2) → 'shape' → 'text flow' click on the fourth icon ('text flow around contour line'). now you need to click the 'edit' button on top of the icons for the text flow and check 'edit contour line' to tell scribus the distance between text and image.
it doesn't matter how many columns (or text frames) are affected. but the image needs to be on top of the text frames. (on a higher level in the ,x, y, z, panel or on a higher layer...)

btw: you might flip through this manual to get a lot of your questions answered.

utnik

renato07

sorry with f2 I cannot open the properties panel, I'm on Mac I can open properties just if I go on windows menu, entry properties with the image frame selected, but what happen is just to have a sign near the world property, no panel are opened

a.l.e

columns tutorial coming next in 3... 2... 1...

well, no, not that fast!

anyway, for F2 on a mac, just press fn + F2 (i think)

... well, a quick web search says it better than me:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102439

depending on your usage of media keys, i think that for people working with graphics should switch the default behavior to using the fn key for the media keys instead.
did you do that, utnik?

a.l.e

here two screenshot to show you how one can do a layout for a magazine / newspaper in scribus:

personally, i prefer to avoid "floating" images (text flow around...) and i prefer to place the frames so that everything has its place.
but, sometimes, they are the way to go.

i'm taking notes in here

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-manual-columns/tree/main/en

but it's not usable yet as a tutorial.

utnik

Quote from: a.l.e on December 27, 2023, 02:08:14 PM...for F2 on a mac, just press fn + F2 (i think)
that's correct.

Quote...people working with graphics should switch the default behavior to using the fn key for the media keys instead.
did you do that, utnik?
no, i didn't. on the macbooks the 'f' keys share the touch bar with a lot of context sensitive functions. therefore i use 'fn' to show them...

Quote from: renato07 on December 27, 2023, 01:38:32 PM...what happen is just to have a sign near the world property, no panel are opened
could you share a screenshot?

utnik

a.l.e

By the way, for this type of questions, it would be useful if you could post a picture of an hand drawn sketch of what you want to achieve...