how to select the right frame for change it's dimension?

Previous topic - Next topic

renato07

Hi,
I'm trying to do this, but I'm not sure (or, rather, I'm sure it's not the correct way).
But many times I can't and I try and try again to select a frame until the handles appear and let me know that I have selected.
But how can I "definitely" select the frame I am interested in?

a.l.e

Not sure what your problem is.

But, yes, seeing the handles and the red border is the way to make sure that a frame is selected.

In special cases, there are a few more things you can do when selecting frames, but for the "normal" ones that's the way it works : - )

renato07

my problem is: how to definitely select the frame. with the arrow too? the Text tool? or what else? I'm trying all of them but when I can do that, it's absolutely for lucky. Is there a way I can do that?

Thank you

Renato

Nermander

I have never had any major problems selecting objects in Scribus, unless there are objects on top of each other.

In my Scribus the tool is called "Select item", I assume this is what you call the "arrow" tool, but if you hold the mouse still over the button it should tell you the name of the tool.

You should not use for example the text tool, because that tool is for inserting a text frame.

If you spend some time giving your objects descriptive names, you can use the outline view to select objects.

a.l.e

You can always select items with the arrow (the Select tool).

When you're in edit mode, you can also click on other shapes.
What exactly happens, depends on the type of the origin and target items. The target will at least be selected. Sometimes directly set in edit mode (as an example, if you're editing the text in a text frame, you can click on a specific position in a different text frame and continue the editing from there).

You can also get out of the edit mode with the Esc key: then, you automatically get in the select mode and can select other items in the most comfortable way.

"Special" rules apply when you want to select items that are inside of a group or on different layers.

I still don't exactly understand what your specific problem is, but your question inspired me to start a short tutorial on selecting items in Scribus (well, at least to keep notes that could lead one day on a tutorial).

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-manual-selecting/tree/main/en

Contributions are welcome.

renato07

maybe my prob is to go in "edit mode"? How can I obtain that? The frame is red colored in edit mode?

a.l.e

you can go in edit mode (that means that you can modify and select the text in a text frame) by double clicking on a frame or pressing the "e" key while the item is selected (in edit mode)...

renato07

>:(
I have only one layer (this is a thing I've to watch later).
on that layer I have a text frame with text inside.
I double click, on the frame or on the text (with the "select item" active)
but nothing is happening!

a.l.e

... you can try to share the .sla file by attaching to a post or by giving a link to it in a private message (no attachments possible in the private messages)...

renato07

a.l.e

downloaded.

here a hint and the solution to your "problem":

- don't use the grid. there is so much noise on your screen... (the baseline grid is ok)
- you have a huge empty text frame above the all page (probably inserted with shift click)
- just delete it and, then, everything is fine.
- i detected it by zooming out a bit (ctr-mouse wheel or the "-" key) and i saw that there is a red rectangle on top of the page margins with small white squares at the corners.
- party

renato07

thank you!
It works! it could be the red square! As I told, it is not well composed! It's a proof!

thank you

Renato

AdmFubar

Make sure you have access to the Outline panel in scribus. Select Windows/Outline from the main drop down menu.
You will see a list of pages and  objects on them (expand as needed). you can click the objects in the list to select them, the select object in the list will show as selected in the document window.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist