Webdings font glyph not coming across properly from my character palette

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishus

Hello, I'm looking for some help.

One of my writers has sent a text with a musical symbol from the webdings font at the head of her work. I guessed this would cause me an issue, so I've tried screenshotting this and adding it as an image, but the PDF checker says the resolution is too low, and I don't seem to be able to increase it in MS Paint up from 120dpi.

I tried adding the glyph, I checked that Webdings is a listed font in Preferences and it's ticked to be used. I think some Webdings might come through, but annoyingly not this one. I found it and added it to my palette, but it will only insert as a square. It's driving me nuts. Any clues? I did see elsewhere on the forum someone recommend font forge, but this leaves me with more questions as it is not an obvious piece of software to use. Crossing fingers I don't have to download an image converter just to get a widdly little symbol!

Please can someone help? Thanks so much!

PatJr

do you have gimp, it's free as in free beer
do you know the uni-code for the symbol?
maybe you can type it or cut and paste it to an inkscape page and the convert it to an outline, save the graphic and then import it into scribus? a bit roundabout

AdmFubar

Quote from: Wishus on October 11, 2023, 01:00:51 AMI tried adding the glyph, I checked that Webdings is a listed font in Preferences and it's ticked to be used. I think some Webdings might come through, but annoyingly not this one. I found it and added it to my palette, but it will only insert as a square. It's driving me nuts. Any clues? I did see elsewhere on the forum someone recommend font forge, but this leaves me with more questions as it is not an obvious piece of software to use. Crossing fingers I don't have to download an image converter just to get a widdly little symbol!

Please can someone help? Thanks so much!
Two possibilities, The webding font you have installed is damaged or incomplete or you dont have that font installed on your system. Check with the  writer for that font, specifically which one. The square you see means the glyph isnt there. There are as i recall  two webding sets from ms and variations that have other types of symbol collections.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Wishus

Thanks all... I will tell you how I resolved it in the end.

I realised I had an account with Canva, so I created a 'business card' template, and found some free clip art to add to the text where it needed to be. The resolution would have been an awesome 500dpi, but the act of cropping it in photo editor so that Scribus could fit it in the frame space. Still an acceptable 300dpi!

Nothing to download except the image itself!