Toolbar icons still tiny (since 2012!), make my eyes hurt, unviewable, unusable

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynamo

I found an old post on this with people asking for updates, but none were given. A series of bug reports were made around 2016 and the response from a developer (Kunda?) was regarding right clicking the icons, and it giving options to change icon size. It was suggested (in error) that this bug was fixed. It was not.

The gif used to demonstrate this was from another app (gimp?) and it is ***********NOT************* possible to change the size of the icons in Scribus on Windows 10 by right clicking them. If I do this, it gives me an option to show or hide sections of icons (File, Edit, Tools, PDF Tools).

There seems to be no point in filing a bug report, as lots have before and they are all closed in error.

This makes Scribus unusable. This is excellent news for commercial DTP editors, as there seems to be absolutely no free alternative.

The other option is to allow Windows 10 to scale the program automatically - this makes ***all*** text blurry, absolutely not the vibe for DTP, also unusable.

I enclose pictures of Scribus's unusable teeny tiny icons.

This website itself I am currently viewing with 133% zoom, because the text is teeny tiny. Is Scribus aiming to cause eyesight loss from squinting?

a.l.e

please try with 1.5.x

1.4.x has not changed (much) since 2012, so it's not really a surprise that its shortcomings have not changed either.

in 1.5.x (soon to be 1.6), you cannot change the size of the icons either, but the size might be saner (it should support high resolution monitors).

MrB

Scribus 1.7.x now uses SVG based icons where we can scale, and recolor. We may be able to introduce different sizing for 1.6.x in a later release.

Dynamo

Quote from: MrB on September 22, 2023, 07:21:53 PMScribus 1.7.x now uses SVG based icons where we can scale, and recolor. We may be able to introduce different sizing for 1.6.x in a later release.

The newest download version on the website is 1.5.8, and there's no 1.6 or 1.7 available. The Sourceforge repo has a 1.7 branch under a folder with an svn title.

A 1.7 download is needed on the website.

Have you ladies and gents considered moving over to Github? It automatically compiles on-server for open source projects. You could then dish out executables for new versions easily. Audacity uses it to good effect.

I've re-read the website and it looks like 1.4 is stable but really out of date, but nobody wants to nail a flag to the mast on 1.5x and make it 1.6. In my opinion (unsolicited, sorry), it's time to put 1.6 out whatever the level of finish. 2012 was ten years ago, your stable branch is basically a ten year old program, and its going to kill this project.

Cyberpunk the game went out to retail almost unusable. From what you're saying, 1.5x is far more usable than unstable. 1.4x is an awful, unusable experience. It might be stable, but its so out of date, its just as non-useful as an app that crashes. Does it crash? No. Can it be used with normal modern equipment? also no. Stick a 1.6 number on 1.5.8. Be brave. or at least stop offering 1.4 for download, its awful.

Dynamo

Here's 1.5.8. The only good news is that menu text isn't hugely blurry by default, like with 1.4x branch on Win10. I still disabled Windows scaling to get text perfectly sharp (this did not affect icon size, I experimented with all settings to try and boost this).

The bad news is i'm still having to manually adjust menu fonts to size 12, and the pictures, whilst a tiny bit more legible are still about 30% too small. eye strain central. Have the devel team looked at Canva and Adobe Express? big chunky buttons. Adored by people. No need to change the interface, but think bigger, chunkier, aesthetic. think less teeny tiny rushing to the optometrist with migraines.

For comparison, next to Scribus 1.5x is Firefox stable's latest version. look at those icons in comparison, way more readable, about 30% larger.

Nermander

Quote from: Dynamo on September 24, 2023, 02:46:21 AMThe newest download version on the website is 1.5.8, and there's no 1.6 or 1.7 available. The Sourceforge repo has a 1.7 branch under a folder with an svn title.

A 1.7 download is needed on the website.

1.7.x is not a released version.

PatJr

... adding to the noise, I like the smaller icons, it leaves more room for my document

a.l.e

hi dynamo

first: on gitlab, there is a "community maintained" CI that creates appimages for linux:

https://gitlab.com/scribus/scribus16

currently, only the future stable branch scribus 1.6 gets compiled.
as soon as 1.6 will be out, i will probably create a new docker image for the main branch (it's not hard, but it takes some time: if somebody wants to contribute to it, all the bits are on gitlab...).

currently, there is no important difference between 1.6 and 1.7, except that 1.7 contains nitram's contributions for a "new UI" (still a work in progress): that's why i'm not really in a hurry.

i'm not sure that it's easy / possible to create images for windows or mac os.
if you know how we could do them, your hints and contributions are very welcome.

finally, we had a discussion on using more modern development tools not so long ago:

https://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,4619.msg21609.html

the summary is:

- the two main developers (the team) do not really have an interest to go for it.
- for most other active developers having a community maintained mirror is good enough.