Iindentation in lists

Previous topic - Next topic

scriber

Let's say we want to write a list, in my case actually it wasn't a real list, but a series of "titles" at the head of little chapters. Something like:

1. My title longer than the width of text box

Here my text body

Due to the width of that "line" longer than the text frame width, it is obviously broken in two lines:

1. My title longer than the width
of text box

Here my text body arranged in a te-
xt box with the same width...

What I want is to indent it as follow:

1. My title longer than the width
   of text box

Here my text body arranged in a te-
xt box with the same width...

We can fall also in an other situation if the last word is hyphenated:

1. My title longer than the width of the nar-
   row text box

Here my text body arranged in a text box with
the same width...

How can I manage the indentation for those titles in this cases?
Thanks in advance!

PatJr

numbered list style?

I'll have go at it and see if I can figure it out.

PatJr

similar to this?

I had to type the second box, left indent, before I could get the first line indent to work

scriber

Yes something like that:

1. Lorem...
   aliquet....
   dignissim...
   etc...

Out of list here,
regular paragraph
text...

The "L" of Lorem has to lead the indent to the rest of paragraph.
If I well understood, to achieve it, I have to create a new paragraph style for numbered lists. Is it right?

Thanks for your suggest!

PatJr

yes, new style, that would be how I would do it

the tricky parts is setting the paragraph indent before the negative first line indent

a.l.e

left indent + first line indent + a tab

yeah!

scriber

scriber

I tried and seem to produce a good result, but... by inserting a TAB character manually original text body will be altered, and I don't think it as a good practice, it apparently works fine, but if you try for instance to change the paragraph style back to regular you'll find new TAB characters in place, even if they weren't part of our original text.

There is an option for "fill character", you can set it to custom and paste a TAB there, but doesn't work as you insert it by hand.

PatJr

Quote from: scriber on July 31, 2023, 12:21:08 AMThere is an option for "fill character", you can set it to custom and paste a TAB there, but doesn't work as you insert it by hand.

that sounds really useful, how did you copy and paste a TAB ? I couldn't get it to work.

a.l.e

modifying the original text during layout is normally ok.

if you give more details about what you are doing, it might get easier to help you.
as an example, if you're using the paragraph effects to define the heading numbers, then i agree, it's not a good idea to add the tab character.
and, indeed, in that case, scribus does not work correctly.
(and i've now filled a ticket for this specific issue: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=16985)

scriber

Open an editor, type TAB, then select it and copy to clipboard. I used "vim" but also with notepad or with any other editor should work...
It works also within scribus: create a text frame, type tab, type shift+left arrow to select that character, than ctrl+c to copy the selection.

After that you can paste it in "fill character" field of scribus style manager.

Anyway, this procedure doesn't work for indentation fix as suggested by a.l.e., the result is not the same, appears to work just editing text body by hand.

scriber

Thanks for your ticket ale, as you wrote the best would be to add a feature for set proper alignment of the paragraph.
Modifying original text is often OK, but a way to achieve the same result with a proper paragraph effect or by edit a paragraph style should be better I think.