How to do something I thought would be easy

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarik720

Im trying to make a 72 page booklet with Scribus by assembling pdf files. Can anybody give me a step by step way to accomplish this. Ive been googling and running into everything else but how to do this

utnik

hi tarik

if it's just about assembling .pdf files, there may be better tools than scribus. (i would use the free version of pdfsam for this task...)
...but what are the problems you're running in with scribus?

utnik

AdmFubar

Quote from: Tarik720 on July 02, 2023, 09:20:22 PMIm trying to make a 72 page booklet with Scribus by assembling pdf files. Can anybody give me a step by step way to accomplish this. Ive been googling and running into everything else but how to do this
Are you actually doing the physical page assembly into a book? or are you going to send it off to a print shop? The former you would need PDFArranger, or equivilant.
https://github.com/pdfarranger/pdfarranger

Check with your distribution for a version, or use the github link.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

Tarik720

I was going to print the book myself.I already have it written in PDF files scribus is trying to make me type out the entire document

Nermander

There are a couple of pages in the Scribus Wiki about tools for impositioning (even it is just 2-up with pages re-arranged for booklet printing). Some tools may be outdated though, and most tools need some practice before you learn how to use them.

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/PDF,_PostScript_and_Imposition_tools

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Imposition

AdmFubar

Quote from: Tarik720 on July 03, 2023, 03:27:18 PMI was going to print the book myself.I already have it written in PDF files scribus is trying to make me type out the entire document
What do you mean by "scribus is trying to make me type out the entire document"?
Advanced hobbyist

Tarik720

Quote from: AdmFubar on July 03, 2023, 08:12:52 PM
Quote from: Tarik720 on July 03, 2023, 03:27:18 PMI was going to print the book myself.I already have it written in PDF files scribus is trying to make me type out the entire document
What do you mean by "scribus is trying to make me type out the entire document"?

When I start Scribus I don't see any way to bring in any other text files pdf pictures etc

AdmFubar

You me you think you have to recreate your document from scratch to add material..
For text simply right click on a text frame and select the content in the pop up menus and then get text.

PDF's as far as I know you need to load them first, just open them as a normal file. Scribus will prompt you to choose how you want to ope them, start with a small file to try this out , and see which option best suits your needs.

However it sound like you are going about this "the hard way". You have your book as a PDF already? and now you want to use scribus to what exactly?

What was used to create these PDF's?
Advanced hobbyist