Scribus lessons

Previous topic - Next topic

Dai

Here are a few of the files and handouts when I taught a class how to use Scribus.
The cookies file is quite useful if learning Scribus from scratch the hand out is quite detailed.

http://cid-a1938bc6a4de5188.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public/scribus%20tutorials.7z

Also you can get a three page layout for a news letter magazine that I made to get you started from Scribus stuff
http://scribusstuff.org/content/show.php/Dai?content=123532&PHPSESSID=c5694da60a61a9a6f683dc51c5a08c0a

BobSongs

Finally!!

A Scribus forum.

This is very encouraging.

Thanks Dai for the link to the tutorials. I've downloaded and will give my copy of Scribus another go. My previous attempts weren't so successful. I've got to remember not to try to use its text editing box too much of a working over. I found, in the past, that it went weird and never came back from that.

:)

Wena

Hi Dai.

I cant get going with Scribus 1.3.3.14.

I am used to Microsoft Publisher.

My great difficulty is to create a novel of A5 pages template on an A4 sheets o paper and to print on both sides to produce. I will need 150 pages.

The type script and some 3 photos are ready.

Such a template will enable me to get the work underway immediately. So, a template or a detailed tutorial could be helpful.

I have looked on the internet and have not found ether of them.

Help please.

Wena D. Parry

utnik

hello wena

scribus is not able to do the imposition part – you need another application for this. (usually it is part of the bookprinters service...)
if you plan to print the novel on your office printer, the solution depends on your operating system. there are different virtual printers (for the os they look like printer drivers) that support booklet printing.
another way is "jpdf tweak", a free java app with different pdf manipulation functions...

utnik

Wena

So are you saying utnik that it is impossible to make an A5 template in  Scribus?

Despite being a Welsh lady, I have read in several places on the net that it can do so.

However, getting to understand how to do so is the job!

The book I am working on will be printed by a commercial printer who specialize in "Book on demand". I also know  that I need to be able to finish my publication in PDF/x-1a:2001 for my commercial printer this can also be done in Scribus.

BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE TEMPLATE, is their any help?

Wena

utnik

hi wena

there is no problem to generate a file for an a5 publication printed in a professional printshop. they will do the imposition for you (bring the pages into the right order) – you don't have to care about...
a different problem is the pdf/x-1a. it is not (yet) supported by scribus – are you sure that your printer is not able to handle a pdf/x-3 with the correct icc-profiles? if pdf/x-1a is absolutely required, you need some sort of workaround with other (maybe expensive) applications – a really bad thing...
i hope the x-3 standard will do...

utnik

Meho R.

Wena,

As utnik mentioned, you can't do impositions in Scribus, which you'll have to do using external applications. We had discussion about imposition before. Check this thread for some infos. And, of course, don't forget to check out Scribus Wiki.

It is easy to create an A5 document (as well as document of any size) in Scribus. Simply design your book as you'd do in any other app, by choosing A5 format during document creation process, setting margins, number of pages, two-side or one-side document etc., then defining master pages, styles and other elements. You can create an empty document with all things set, and use it as a template. When the book is finished, save it as PDF document, then do the imposition as explained in the thread I've provided a link to.

Also note that it is a good idea to divide your book into a couple of smaller parts (e.g., put every chapter in a separate .sla file–which is Scribus's native format), since Scribus might not work comfortably with documents larger than 30–50 pages. You can put PDF files together afterward (just google "merge pdf" to find utilities for your OS).

As for PDF/x-1a:2001, Scribus prior to 1.5.x doesn't support it (1.4.0, which will soon become stable, will not support it). However, current development version (1.5.0) does support PDF/x-1a, so you might consider installing this version. But be aware that it IS a development version, so I'd recommend that you use version 1.4.0.rc5 for your work until your project is finished, save the document (and a backup copy, since once you open and save a document with higher version of Scribus, you cannot open it again with lower version), then open it with version 1.5.0 and save as PDF/x-1a.

utnik

thanks menho r. – i never heard about the pdf/x-1a in 1.5...

Wena

Thank you very much Meho R. I still need to get some tutorial to do all that and I find myself tempted to use Microsoft Publisher, but I am not one for giving up.

I am now going to look at the link you have recommended.

Wena

Wena

So Meho if I work in ver' 1.3.314 now then with a copy of my work I could import that into a newer version?

Is that so?

Wena

utnik

hello wena

you can open your .sla-file from 1.3.3.14 in version 1.5, but not the opposite way. so you better work with a copy of the file and keep the original untouched by newer scribus versions...

utnik

carusoswi

Quote from: Meho R. on August 24, 2011, 02:20:49 AM
Also note that it is a good idea to divide your book into a couple of smaller parts (e.g., put every chapter in a separate .sla file–which is Scribus's native format), since Scribus might not work comfortably with documents larger than 30–50 pages. You can put PDF files together afterward (just google "merge pdf" to find utilities for your OS).

Hope I am not violating forum rules by adding to an old thread, but, Meho, can you please explain why Scribus would not work comfortably with larger documents?  Just curious.

Thanks.

Caruso

a.l.e

people experience a big slow down with big files and -- most of all -- with longer text frame chains.

other people have witnessed a success with very big files...

it probably depends much on your computer and on the content of the files...

ciao
a.l.e

Dwight Worker

Is there someplace other than Microsoft that I can download this? I do not want to give them so much info.