From PNG to DWG. Increase file

Previous topic - Next topic

mariog

Good morning.
I have a Scribus file with PNG images.
The file is about 100Kb. I thought to convert the images in SVG format so that I could then resize them without losing the definition.
I saw however that the Scribus file becomes about 6.5Mb.
Is this correct?
Thank you.

utnik

hi masfur

depending on the complexity of the graphics this may be right.
the .png files aren't integrated into the .svg file (they are just linked to it), while imported vector art becomes part of the file.

utnik

mnawij

Hello masfur,

.png files are bitmap/raster and will not scale larger in size without losing quality, as utnik stated, these images are linked within the .svg file and are not converted to a vector format which you would need to enlarge them and keep the quality.  Are these images more line drawings or a true photograph image? Could you share one or two of them so I can better recommend some options to convert them to vector format if the image seems like it would be feasible to do so.  Thanks!

Cheers!

mnawij

mariog

Thank you very much, I understand.
They are not photographic files, just writings or icons.
So once I have inserted the SVG files can I delete them from the working directory?
I share some of them.
Thank you very much.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi masfur

Quote from: masfur on March 02, 2020, 06:39:57 AMThey are not photographic files, just writings or icons.

yes the files you posted should rather be placed as vectors.
QuoteSo once I have inserted the SVG files can I delete them from the working directory?

yes – you can...

utnik

mnawij

The attached file is Scribus 1.5.5.  I was able to import using File->Import->Get Vector File to bring in as vector shapes all three of your .svg files.  There was no raster/bitmap pieces that I saw.  As you can see, the file size is not that large.

Cheers!
mnawij

[attachment deleted by admin]

mariog

Thanks a lot!
I noticed that SVG images cannot be modified inside Scribus (1.4.8) like lighting, color, etc.
So it's better to use PNG images that, being connected, can also be modified with external programs.
Excuse me if I go slightly OT and excuse my English too...

utnik

hi masfur

Quote from: masfur on March 03, 2020, 08:51:40 AM...I noticed that SVG images cannot be modified inside Scribus (1.4.8) like lighting, color, etc.

yes, you can! (via 'properties' → 'colors') – but you have to ungroup the elements first!

utnik