scribus vs inkscape

Previous topic - Next topic

Guillaume

Before I download Inkscape, can someone who has both Scribus and Inkscape on his computer say if the commands, controls, moves, functions are identical on both?
Guillaume

tosca

I'm not sure what you mean by 'identical'. Those are two different programs, with different purposes, and not at all similar interfaces.

mnawij

Hi Guillaume, you can look at the keyboard references for both applications at the following sites...  some are generic system wide such as cmd/ctrl+c for copy, but others are app dependent.

https://inkscape.org/en/doc/keys091.html

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Keyboard_Shortcuts_by_Key

mnawij

a.l.e

from my point of view: no they're not similar.

except, at least partially, for the typical system related shortcuts mentioned by mnwij.

this is valid for the four free software four graphics i'm mainly using (scribus, gimp, inkscape, mypaint).

personally, i consider the two (three) programs to behave (and look) different enough that switching the context is easy enough... except for a few specific shortcut where it's a bit of a pain.

anyway, most of the time i don't use the same features (in the same way) in the different programs... and for some of the features i always use the keyboard in scribus, i tend to use the mouse in inkscape...

my hint? learn different programs for different goals, with different muscle memory...

(the most painful ones that come to mind: M, F1 and ESC to get into "move" mode... or the smaller movements for shapes (ctrl? shift? alt?).

(a convergence between the three programs would be very welcome... but it's not enough to have the same shortcuts, first they need to behave and feel the same!)

Guillaume

Yes, both programs do vectors and shapes, but do they behave in a similar way to draw?
Guillaume

utnik

hi guillaume

it's a good thing, that the vector drawing and editing tools of 'inkscape' are completely different from the vector tools of 'scribus'.
here the difference should be a good reason to dowmload 'inkscape', as the vector editing abilities of 'scribus' are more or less crippled.

if you do a lot of vector work, you'll need a vector tool (which scribus isn't...)

utnik

GarryP

Just to add my two-penneth to the discussion: I've used Scribus to create quite a bit of vector artwork - see the Showcase section of this forum for some examples - but I wouldn't recommend using it to create anything of a non-trivial nature. While it is possible to create vector artwork in Scribus, and the tools available are - to differing extents - quite sophisticated, the process can be a bit of a chore.

Scribus lacks many tools and options that make creating vector artwork a pleasurable experience. For instance, snapping is very limited compared to other software - Inkscape included - and the way Scribus manages colours can make the creative process a much longer drawn-out affair than it could otherwise be.

Think of the two applications being used by two different people: Inkscape for the graphic artist; Scribus for the layout guy. The Scribus vector tools are more for tweaking the artwork than creating it. Ask utnik said above, Scribus isn't a vector tool. It has some vector editing capabilities but they are very limited compared to other software. To try and put this another way: GIMP has text editing facilities but you wouldn't normally use it as a document layout tool (although I have heard about some people doing so). Use the right software for the job and things will be easier.

If you have the opportunity to learn how to use both Scribus and Inkscape then that's what I would recommend. Draw vector artwork in Inkscape and import it into Scribus for layout. If you can only learn Scribus then be prepared to do a lot more work to get what you want. Learning two applications takes more time than only learning one but you'll be making things easier for yourself in the long-run.

NOTE: Scribus can't properly render everything that Inkscape can produce, such as transparencies. Make sure you import your Inkscape work into a blank Scribus document every now and again just to make sure it will be handled properly.