Windows 10 and pub files

Previous topic - Next topic

strawmanmark

I do not do much desktop publishing, but I have a PUB file and need to modify it.  I downloaded the latest version of the scribus product this morning and it appears to work, but it will not open the PUB files.  Do I need to also download the Ghostscript product in order for it to open the .pub files?  Or did I read the information incorrectly and this is not possible with this product? The PUB file was created on another machine and I no longer have access to MS Publisher.

utnik

hi strawmanmark

afaik the development version (scribus1.5.0svn) has an import filter for publisher files. as i never worked with MSpublisher, i don't know how good it works...
if you prefer to stay with the stable scribus version (1.4.5) you either need access to publisher (a trial version should do) or use a file converter like zamzar to convert it in something you can edit (.pdf, .docx...)

utnik

Nermander

To be clear here: You will not be able to modify the file using Scribus.

You may be able to import it into Scribus, but you will not be able to save it as PUB.

strawmanmark

Any suggestions as to what file type I should attempt to convert it to?  The file I have to modify resembles a very detailed check template - lots of fields in not a lot of space.  I really only need to change the information it contains and then print or pdf.  Publisher was probably lots more program than needed, but it did the trick and was what I had at the time.

utnik

hi strawmanmark
Quote from: strawmanmark on December 10, 2015, 07:42:37 PM
Any suggestions as to what file type I should attempt to convert it to?

i don't know – depending on your file even .docx might be the best solution...

utnik