New to Scribus - General Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

liezl

Hello Everyone,

I just found this software this afternoon.  Before I download the software, can those of you who are already familiar with the software let me know if this would be good to use to put together an Elementary School Yearbook?  The software used by the previous yearbook creator is not compatible with Macs, so I need to find another alternative.

I spoke to the printers today as well and they said the file has to be a high resolution PDF. Is that option available as well?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Liezl

Nermander

I'd say that is a perfect task for Scribus.

Note though that you will probably need a lot of RAM in the computer for such a task (Scribus is not memory conservative).

And of course you should play around a bit with Scribus before starting with the big task, you need to find a suitable workflow and learn the limitations of Scribus (it has a few, no showstoppers but sometimes workarounds are needed).

I'd say guides, styles and scrapbook would probably be well worth looking into. Stay away from color management unless you have good knowledge of it.

utnik

hi liezl

yes, scribus is the software to do this job.
be aware that it's a complex application – you'll need some time to familiarize with it...

utnik

celia1976

Hello to everyone!! Hopefully om writting at the correct place.

Now, ive been sent a document with photos and i just had to download scribus to view the contents. Unfortunately, i can not see the images of the document. Anyone knows what do i have to do to view them?

thank you

GarryP

How were you sent the document and photos?

Scribus doesn't "embed" images into the document, it just contains a reference to them. This means that the images must be where the references are looking for them. I.e. Essentially, the file/directory structure must be the same on your machine as it was on your senders machine, and this isn't usually the case.

I think you might need the person who sent you the document and images to use the "File -> Collect for Output..." function instead. This creates a new copy of the document and collects the images together with it, with new references to the images, in a new directory. This directory can be zipped and sent, then unzipped by yourself and everything should be okay.

(There are other options in the "Collect for Output..." dialog for including fonts and colour profiles too. I'm not sure if you'll need these but it depends on your document.)

I hope this helps.

Nermander

Ask the person who sent you the file to make a PDF instead. At least if you are just going to view the file and not work with it.

If you are going to work with it, note that the images are NOT embedded in the file, Scribus only links to images. If you did not get the images as separate files, there is no way Scribus can show them.

If you DID get them as separate files, you probably need to tell Scribus the location of the image files.