Draw grid for crossword

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyret

I want to use Scribus mainly to create crosswords. I've used InDesign before and inserted a table to create the grid and worked with layers to build the crossword.

If I understand correctly tables are not so good for this in Scribus. It would be better to draw a grid. I've installed Tkinter but have no idea what to do next. I've checked "Drawing a grid" in the Scribus Wiki but where do I find Scribus Grid Wizard?

a.l.e

some time ago i've started a script for creating crosswords grids.

the goal is to have a python script that reads a text file (yaml?) and outputs a schema of this type:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossword#/media/File:CrosswordUSA.svg

- by drawing lines
- adding text boxes with numbers
- drawing black squares
- creating text frames with the definitions (automatically numbered)

i can finish that script for free or provide different type of schemas for money.

just ping  me if you have any interest in such a script.

Pyret

Thanks for the offer, a.l.e but I have Crossword compiler which can create those grids for me.

Swedish crosswords are a bit different. We want one or more pictures and the clues inside the grid. Crossword compiler has that option, but I prefer to build the crosswords myself.

a.l.e

sorry, pyret, i don't really understand your reply.

if you're happy with crossword compiler, just export a pdf from there, which you can then import into scribus.
you can export also to rtf (iirc) and import it into a text frame to get the definition in a text frame (if you  have defintions).

all in all, in scribus it's rather easy to create a grid by using the multiple duplication tool or by writing a python script.
but scribus does not have a tool that will create a grid for you.