Imported image grainy in Scribus and on export to pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindbender

Hi There,

I am new to Scribus. I imported an svg into scribus so I could convert it to cmyk. I used cyan.exe to convert my image from rgb to cmyk as well.

When I add an image box and get the image it appears fine in the preview but once it is placed into the image box it is all distorted and it is the same when exported to pdf.

What am I doing wrong.

I have attached a screen shot of what it looks like in the preview and in the image box for refernece

Thanks for the help

[attachment deleted by admin]

RodneyLee

notice how zoomed in you are, select "fit image to frame", you may also have display "Image Preview Quality" set low to save memory

Mindbender

Thank you for the reply. Things have taken a turn for the worse  :). I add an image frame, get image, select image, click ok, Scribus crashes everytime

Any ideas?

a.l.e

as far as i know lading svgs in images frame is not supported. but, i've tried it right now and it indeed does something.

i fear that it's just loading a preview contained in the svg itself...

i also have no idea what your cmyk.exe does... and i've never heard of somebody converting the svg before importing it into scribus.

have you tried to import it as vector (file > import > get vector file) and then correctly setup scribus for the cmyk pdf output?

ciao
a.l.e

Mindbender

Sorry I should have been more clear. The image I am trying to import into the image frame is an cmyk tiff file.

a.l.e

Mindbender

it is huge (which may be a part of the issue) 48mg zipped up

AdmFubar

Quote from: Mindbender on March 20, 2019, 06:25:07 PM
it is huge (which may be a part of the issue) 48mg zipped up
I take it your document isnt 6600x4800?
Are you doing a 4 color separation print? If the answer is no then change the image from a tiff to jpg or png.Also resize the image to something more manageable.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

a.l.e

probably, no need to move from tiff to jpg.

but it is indeed likely that the size of the image is way too much.

and: why are you not importing directly the svg into scribus?

Mindbender

I started off importing the svg into scribus so I could convert it to cmyk for printing. I have since rebuilt the whole banner inside of scibus but cannot get the image to import/export properly.

The document is 23.6"x63" and the image is 600x4800 at 300dpi. I used cyan.exe to convert it from rgb to cmyk as it was created in gimp.

I will try shrinking the image to see if that helps.

Can't wait for them to hurry up and get cmyk into these apps.

a.l.e

you don't need to convert the image before loading it into scribus.

scribus can do the conversion for you.

and, yes, if the target is so big, you might need that many pixels (even if 300 dpi is probably a bit too much for that size).

Mindbender

thanks for the info on the image converting in scrivbus - great bit of knowledge.

Thanks for all the help everyone