Open a PDF file in Scribus?

Previous topic - Next topic

eightwt

Just installed Scribus 1.4.6 on my Mint machine and I'm trying to open a PDF in it. The Open dialog give me many file choices, PDF being one of them. I select ".pdf" and another window open a file selector. I select a file and click the "preview" box. A preview panel opens and shows a preview. When I click Open I get blank pages, usually not even the same number of pages as the original .pdf.

I have Ghostscript installed. Under the Help tab I looked at "About Plugins". This is what I see:

PostScript Importer
Filename: libimportps
Version:
Enabled: No
Release Date:
Description:
Imports PostScript Files

I suppose importing and opening are two different things, but how does one enable a plugin? And why do I not see m pdf file in Scribus. What am I missing here?

eightwt

a.l.e

scribus 1.4 cannot open pdf files.
scribus 1.4 can load pdf file in image frames.
for this to work you need to install ghostscript and get scribus to find it.
please check in the "file > preferences > external tools" that the "name of executable" matches the way you can start ghostscript on your computer.

otherwise, i'm not aware of a way to enable / disable plugins...

eightwt

After more reading I discovered that version 1.4.x will not open pdf files despite the fact that the Open File dialog implies that it does. Ghostscript is installed and Scribus knows where it is.

So I installed Scribus-ng and that will open pdf files. Takes forevvvvver, but it works. What I really would like is a substitute for InDesign and a way to load InDesign templates into Scribus so I can make a file that Blurb can handle.

a.l.e

if you want to transfer document from indesign to scribus, you should look into the IDML format.

you can export projects as IDML from ID and then import them into scribus.

it does not work yet perfectly, but it's better than going through PDFs.

warning: it's 1.5.x only (ng)!

if you have issue with the importing of IDML files, please report them here or in the bug tracker: https://bugs.scribus.net