Scribusoid

Author Topic: Edit document: INDD --> EPS --> Scribus  (Read 329 times)

jmccuneRPsf

• Scribus User
Edit document: INDD --> EPS --> Scribus
« on: April 28, 2018, 03:27:00 am »
Scribus 1.4.6

Using InDesign I exported an INDD file to EPS then successfully imported the EPS into Scribus.

Now, how can the text that was imported into Scribus be edited? Or can it in fact be edited? 

It seems that the imported file is just one full page object, perhaps an image? In the properties F2 dialog Text is grayed out.

I presume a PDF exported from InDesign then imported into Scribus would be the same.

mnawij

• Scribus User
Re: Edit document: INDD --> EPS --> Scribus
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 05:22:38 am »
Save As IDML from InDesign -> File Open Scribus 1.5.3.  Not perfect yet, but it has done a decent job for me, At least gets most elements over to Scribus.  Any problems you can file a bug report and explain what did not import correctly (I think there is already a bug submission that you can add to)  Does not work with 1.4.6 I'm afraid.  The other option is to cut and paste from InDesign to Scribus for text and import the photos.  Fastest way for photos for me is to 'package' InDesign file so all the photos are handily available in a single folder it creates.  I hope this helps.

Cheers!

mnawij

jmccuneRPsf

• Scribus User
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 04:22:51 pm »
Thanks for all the tips.

Unfortunately I'm using an older version of Adobe CS. There is no IDML export choice in this version though there is XML and INX. Maybe XML would work in Scribus 1.5.3.

mnawij

• Scribus User
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:11:27 pm »
Is this a one time job or something you plan to do for other projects?  This will let me know in which direction to help you further.

mnawij

jmccuneRPsf

• Scribus User
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 12:57:30 pm »
Small non-profit organization, getting new desktop computer, looking at migrating away from Creative Suite, etc to free open-source apps while setting up new machine (Scribus, GIMP, etc -- already use LibreOffice).

Only have a handful of INDD files that would have to be ported to Scribus, so your suggestion of copy-paste of text  probably sufficient for this purpose.

palmate