Text Imports Repeating

Previous topic - Next topic

TuxfordC

I am preparing some fairly long texts for printing. These were drafted in Lyx and I have been bringing them into Scribus for final editing and
layout.  Have been working in blocks of 20 pages, without many problems except those of my own making.  Today I set up  twenty blank
pages and  brought in the final block of text in this section.  This text only occupied some six and half pages, then the import started again so
that I finally had three copies of my text in Scribus.  I deleted most of the excess  pages and was left with a page (page 7) containing the last
paragraph of the text, plus several paragraphs of the beginning again.  So, I went into the story editor and deleted these repeated paragraphs.
Came out of the story editor and back to Page one only to find that the text I had deleted from Page seven, had gone from Page one also.

Is this normal or is it my ignorance? :(

utnik

hi tuxford

i don't really understand your workflow.

• why do you import your text three times?
  • and if this was by mistake, why not 'edit' → 'undo'?
when your text frames are linked, there's no 'page seven text' in the story editor. it doesn't matter, which text frame is selected, the story editor shows the whole text. it might be easier to delete the excess direct on the document pages (in frame) – i almost never use the story editor...
utnik

TuxfordC

Hi Utnik,
               I didn't import the text three times, Scribus did it. It tried to fill the 20 blank pages by automatically repeating my import. When I
tried to remove part of the repeat, on page seven of the document, by using the story editor,  the same paragraph disappeared from the first page of the document.  i have worked around the problem but the repeated import is strange.

You wrote that you almost never used the story editor.  Do you edit it on the document page?  Some of this material I am working
with was written several years ago and needs update editing.

Tuxford.

utnik

hi tuxford

Quote from: TuxfordC on August 22, 2014, 10:38:51 PMIt tried to fill the 20 blank pages by automatically repeating my import.

i have never seen something like this – how do you import your text?

Quote...Do you edit it on the document page?

yes, either there or in libreOffice – but feel free to use the story editor instead...

utnik

TuxfordC

Quote from: utnik on August 23, 2014, 07:29:53 AM

i have never seen something like this – how do you import your text?

utnik

Hi utnik
             In that case, I had copied the text from Lyx, on to the clipboard. Then pasted from clipboard into the story editor. The multiple copies may have happened in the SE. I have tried to repeat it but all subsequent tests have worked properly.  I can only assume that there was a one-off problem in the clipboard pasting.

about using the story editor, it seemed to be the best way of dealing with the widows and orphans that appeared in Scribus when I had
imported  from the Lyx text editor into the fixed text box sizes in Scribus.

I have yet to figure out how to directly edit in Scribus without using the story editor.
is
Thanks for the help.

Tuxford.