Scribusoid

Author Topic: Question re opening PostScript files  (Read 1602 times)

tduell

• Scribus User
Question re opening PostScript files
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:15:44 am »
Trying to learn how to use Scribus, I have been looking at how to import PostScript, as per <http://documentation.scribus.net/index.php/Importing_Vectors> which says...

"A recommended way to import EPS/PS files in to Scribus is to simply create a new document via File > Open. Select EPS/PS from the dropdown under File Type in the file dialog. Then directly import the EPS/PS file. This creates a new document in which the page size is automatically calculated from the EPS bounding box. A bounding box in an EPS file is a rectangle that describes the actual size of the graphical content."

I tried an example found here <http://lbproject.sourceforge.net/examples.html>, the first (top) PostScript example which is "generic_en_linux_brochure_watermarked.ps.gz".

Attempting to open the extracted ps file in Scribus results in a bit of a mess, and looks as though the two pages are overlaid.
I then tried by splitting the 2 page PS into two files, each one page, and then opening one of the single page PS files in a new Scribus doc. For each of these 1 page PS files the result is unsatisfactory, with the top part of the file content appearing to be cut off.
The original 2 page PS file and each of the 1 page PS files are rendered OK by the document viewer here in Fedora 19.
I have had the same result using 1.4.3 from the Fedora repo and from a build of the current development source.
Is this expected behaviour; am I tackling this incorrectly, or is there a problem with Scribus?

Cheers,
Terry

tduell

• Scribus User
Re: Question re opening PostScript files
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:22 am »
I can now report that this one is "solved" as well!
I have just rebuilt from the current development source, and this time I noticed that the cmake process hadn't found a couple of devel libs (poppler and PoDoFo). I must have missed those messages last time.
A build with those devel libs now loads the PS files and renders them as expected.
Not sure why v1.4.3 from Fedora repo didn't handle the test PS files.

Cheers,
Terry

palmate