scribus jammed all my doc because of windows / ubuntu incompatibility :-(

Previous topic - Next topic

nicolasbriet

I created a document on scribus when I was still under windows vista.
I then moved to Ubuntu, and this is when the problems beggan.
Scribus doesn't recognise the original windows characters (times new roman, arial,etc).
Scribus nicely proposed to find some substitute letters for me...I said yes

and it still messed up completely my document. I can not even recognise it anymore

I have to start again from scratch my doc everytime I do any minor modifications

this is a nightmare

please...help me :o

utnik

hi nicolasbriet

if you have to edit your .sla files on another machine, the best way is to use the function: 'file' → 'collect for output' with the boxes: 'include fonts' and 'include color profiles' checked.

with font substitutions you always need to check (and usually edit) the layout.

utnik

Nermander

What you need to do is transfer the used fonts to the Ubuntu computer. Using Collect for output is one way, but I'd rather install them for the whole system (I think they can be found by googling "Windows core fonts").

You would get the very same problem no matter what program you used, because it's a matter of what fonts are installed and what fonts are used in the document. If the document was created with Word, Scribus or some other program is irrelevant.

If you had made a pre-design decision on what fonts to use you might not have had the problem. I mostly try to never use the Windows core fonts (because "everybody" use them so your document will look like every other document out there).

nicolasbriet

@utnik

if you have to edit your .sla files on another machine, the best way is to use the function: 'file' → 'collect for output' with the boxes: 'include fonts' and 'include color profiles' checked.

How can I do now? I can not export from another machine....all I have is my laptop with ubuntu. I don't have anyone around who would have scribus on a pc using windows.

so I am still stuck for now....   ;-(

@ Nermander

I like the idea...but I have no clue how to install new Windows fonts on scribus. could you give me more details.
Also on google I det 1000 answers. which file to install?

thanks

utnik

Quote from: nicolasbriet on September 18, 2013, 06:16:21 PM...I can not export from another machine....all I have is my laptop with ubuntu. I don't have anyone around who would have scribus on a pc using windows.

at least you need the fonts from somewhere – the easiest way will be from the 'fonts' folder of a windows operating system.

Quote...I have no clue how to install new Windows fonts on scribus.

you can't install fonts on scribus. if you like to install the fonts, you have to install them in your ubuntu system...
but you don't need to install fonts for scribus to work with them. scribus searches for fonts in the main font directory as well as in the directory where the .sla file is stored and on places you define under 'preferences' → 'fonts' → 'additional paths'.
if you don't use the windows fonts frequently, i would recommend to store them outside of the operating system.

utnik