Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Linux / Errors occured while Linking CXX executable scribus
« Last post by DIYPlanner on July 02, 2021, 08:24:47 am »
HI,there.
I managed to compile Scribus from source from scratch.I used Debian 11 and had Qt 5.15.2 and all dependencies pre-installed however when it link CXX executable Scribus error occured.Just looking at the error it said:
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Gui.so.5.15.2: undefined reference to `hb_font_funcs_set_nominal_glyph_func'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Gui.so.5.15.2: undefined reference to `hb_font_funcs_set_font_h_extents_func'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Gui.so.5.15.2: undefined reference to `hb_font_set_ptem'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Gui.so.5.15.2: undefined reference to `hb_font_funcs_set_variation_glyph_func'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
I'm new to compile and build Scribus.I can't make sense what it means.How can I do?
Text and Typography / Automatic Line Spacing issue - 1.5.6.1
« Last post by Spilly on July 01, 2021, 04:02:59 pm »
Can a Hero please explain the logic behind Auto Linespacing and how one would exploit the feature?

I want to observe the effect of Automatic linespacing at various font sizes, as described in Help "Text Properties". 

I attach a simple Linespacing SLA, best used showing all whitespace characters.

There are no defined styles in the document.
The default font is Arial Regular 11pt
Auto Linespacing is set at 100%

I built a textboxes with default styling.
In f3, I set First line offset to Line Spacing.
I then populated the text, and duplicated it to get six boxes.
Then I selected the entire text and set a test font size value.

I was expecting each text box to occupy an increasing vertical space, but that does not seem to be the case.

The 1st 3 lists are all (nearly) the same height - The bottom of the final pilcrow is at 42mm, 42mm & 42.5mm respectively.
Only when the font increases above 14pt does the list height increase significantly, but the line spacing is still closer than I would have expected.

I note the pilcrow symbol is sized at 11 point in every line of all lists.

What is the logic?
When is Auto Line Space useful?  And How do you use it?
Automatic Line spacing is set at 100% - but of what value??

spilly
Using 1.5.6.1 under Windows 10
Text and Typography / Best way to clear all formatting
« Last post by Spilly on July 01, 2021, 12:06:48 am »
It seems, from browsing the forums, that people get in a mess applying **Character** styles (F3) across multiple paragraphs after Para styles already apply.

Am I correct in understanding that selecting multiple paras and then applying F3 palette changes leads to Scribus trouble, so that if you continue you get unexpected results?

If so, what's the quickest way to get things back under control?
Is there a quick way of getting back to plain text in "pure" Scribus?
Is there anything simpler than Cut Paste into a plain text window and back?

Can an experienced user give some Rules of Thumb and Do's and Don'ts about Styles?

Spilly
Text and Typography / Re: Any guide to quickly applying styles?
« Last post by Spilly on June 30, 2021, 11:45:38 pm »
@OwenNZ

You describe exactly what I do, and for me, it seems to work.
The important thing is that both Body and SubHead must be fully specified **Paragraph** styles

I apply "Body" Style to the empty frame; Body includes a default char style of the desired font settings
Then I import the text - either in Story editor; or Get Text; or a plain text Paste

In my case that gives me all paragraphs with 6pt spacing after, but I want my subheads to be Bold with zero spacing after.
Personally I find working in Item Edit mode easier than in Story editor at this stage

The F3 Text palette shows Body style & [Default Character Style]. Don't touch the lower dropdown.
In item edit mode, place the cursor anywhere in a subhead para, and set F3 paragraph style to SubHead.
Repeat for each subhead para.

For me, this works and formats the selected paragraphs as desired.

I have issues with Get Text, but that's another matter really.
To make the importer work you need to set which importer to use; it doesn't set the importer from the imported filename extension, as it should; but at least it remembers what you did last time.

Hope this helps - either you or any other browsing the page

Spilly
Text and Typography / Re: Add text/append text in Scribus 1.5.5 and 1.5.6.1
« Last post by Spilly on June 30, 2021, 07:45:43 pm »
Hi Cerex - a late reply for you

I've used 1.5.6.1 under Windows 10 and never had a crash.

In my limited experience of Append text, I think it tends to remember the last used file type extension.
Make sure you use the dropdown.
I find DOCX is both listed and actually imports these days

My advice would if possible to AVOID importing the styles from DOCX.
It seems to me that MSWord's template data can be quite complex
Scribus seems to import a huge hierarchy under a Normal style
I found the resulting styles collection in Scribus all a horrid mess
Maybe that mess came from the original system that created the DOCX...
It came from ANOther's system.

I'd rather import text only and use Scribus facilities to get a consistent result

Spilly
PDF Generation / PREFLIGHT ISSUE
« Last post by jim78b on June 29, 2021, 10:11:33 am »
when i load preflight  scribus give me for layers and master pages 0 , but is an error why?
General Discussion / Re: What is "Extended Image Properties"
« Last post by DIYPlanner on June 28, 2021, 05:29:57 pm »
Hi utnik,
Thanls you very much for the answer.
Features / Re: import a table from a file office formats
« Last post by Didier-35 on June 26, 2021, 02:39:59 pm »
Hello,

I confirm the interest in importing tables in the ODT (from Writer) and ODS (from Calc) formats.
The way of editing tables in Scribus is interesting only for small tables, and as Scribus is not a text editor, this is normal.
Complex tables are usually edited in specialized applications like spreadsheet, word processing where specific formating is often used like italic, bold.
Then should be very usefull if one can import this kind of data keeping the character formating.

Then the demand should be : could it be possible to import tables in ODS or ODT format as the ODT format is usually imported concerning pure text ?

Thanks
Didier.

General Discussion / Overview not refreshing
« Last post by xenon on June 25, 2021, 10:01:35 am »
Hi forum,

today I opened a second .sla file from within Scribus, while working on another document. The file was opened without problems, but the overview section always showed the content from the first document, no matter which of the two files I was working on. Can anyone confirm this behavior and should this be considered a bug (Scribus 1.5.7)? I did not find it in the Buglist or through search...

Thanks,
xe
General Discussion / Re: Issues with importing from LibreOffice
« Last post by utnik on June 24, 2021, 08:41:03 pm »
hi audunmb

when i import text with 'content' → 'get text' or 'content' → 'append text' the text keeps its paragraph styles from libreOffice. (while direct formatting will be lost…)
as importer you select 'odt document' and don't check 'import text only'.

utnik
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
palmate