Recent posts

Code / Re: Compiling scribus with qt ...
Last post by YtterX - March 10, 2024, 11:08:31 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if there was a more up-to-date guide on how to setup Scribus with QtCreator.
I'm on Linux and was trying to follow https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/QtCreator_-_workflow_for_Scribus_and_Git_repository_under_Linux but I think QtCreator has changed too much since this was written for me to follow...

If there is a better guide available please let me know.
Beginner Talk / Re: Advice needed for choosing...
Last post by Skyhawk777 - March 10, 2024, 04:39:55 AM
Quote from: PatJr on March 09, 2024, 04:11:20 PMI don't really understand the situation here, the journal is written in scribus and exported to pdf and you don't save the sla file? All you have is the pdf?
Maybe pdfshuffler would do what you want?

I wasn't clear, sorry.  I did not write these PDF documents in Scribus.  I am hoping to find the best way to organize and assemble these 6 years of daily PDF journal entries into a book form (or a set of books).  There are over 8,000 pages in 8.5x11 portrait format.  I thought that perhaps it would be ideal to make each year a book volume with 12 chapters (a chapter for each month).  I'd like to have the ability to print each volume in hardcopy (a book volume for each year).  I would also like to have it organized into an Ebook format that could be read (like in an ebook reader like Calibre).  I would like each page numbered for each book volume and create a table of contents.  Ideally it would be nice to have sub-chapters for each daily entry and a table of contents.     
Layout Issues / Re: Use master page layout
Last post by xgipper - March 09, 2024, 05:32:18 PM
Thanks.
Beginner Talk / Re: Old style lowercase number...
Last post by Nermander - March 09, 2024, 04:25:57 PM
Some fonts have them as a font feature, others have them in the normal number positions, others (non-unicode fonts) may have them in odd places (so you need to figure out what character code they have, but then most softwares will probably not treat them as numbers).
Last post by Nermander - March 09, 2024, 04:22:21 PM
As mentioned earlier, Master pages in Scribus are just "page backgrounds". They are not "page templates".
Last post by Nermander - March 09, 2024, 04:20:44 PM
I would use a PDF handling tool to combine the PDFs. Maybe first create one PDF per month. And them combine these into a book for a year, potentially also including some newly created pages.

The biggest issue with this solution is the page numbering, if you want consecutive page numbering it will probably be a pain to do this using PDFs.

Sure, Scribus can import PDFs, but you will probably have to manually delete the page number from each page after import.
Last post by PatJr - March 09, 2024, 04:11:20 PM
I don't really understand the situation here, the journal is written in scribus and exported to pdf and you don't save the sla file? All you have is the pdf?
Maybe pdfshuffler would do what you want?
Last post by xgipper - March 09, 2024, 10:50:32 AM
Hello.
Complete newb here. I think I'm trying to do something similar (using 1.6.1 on Win 10).

I want to create a fairly simple report. I set up a master page with two text frames, where I want to include on (probably) every page one column of main text, and a pull-out quote or similar next to it. I also successfully created a footer with page numbers.

But when I exit the master page and go to page 1 of the document, I can't click in or access the text frames, as far as I can see, to add the text for each document page.

Unless there's some way to do this I haven't found, I now assume my approach was incorrect and perhaps I should have just set up guides for the two constant text areas in the MP, into which I have to place text frames on every document page in the right place according to the guides. Is this right? Or should I create page 1 of my document iteself, and then use the scrapbook to replicte constant elments on subsequent pages, or similar?

Thanks in advance for any pointers to get me going!

Cheers.
Beginner Talk / Advice needed for choosing the...
Last post by Skyhawk777 - March 09, 2024, 03:20:53 AM
I have been keeping a daily journal.  Each day's entry is approximately 5 pages in length.  When each day's journal is completed I save it as a PDF 1.5 (US Letter, Portrait, 216 × 279 mm).  I have over 6 years of these journal entries. 

I would like to organize each year into a journal book form for printing.  I would also like an eBook for each journal also.  I was hoping to organize each year's journal into 12 chapters (each month of that year would be a chapter).  Ideally, it would be nice to have sub-chapters (daily entries).  So year's journal book would be around 2,000 pages in length.  My computer is running Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu).

What would you recommend I use to do this?  Would Scribus be a good tool, or would another software be better?  Thank you in advance for helping me with this.