Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Master Page, not editable
Last post by TemperateBroadleaf - May 30, 2024, 07:02:38 PM
Quote from: Nermander on May 10, 2024, 01:29:16 PMMaster pages in Scribus are essentially "page backgrounds".

If you want page templates, have a look at the scrapbook.
Has it been decided that this is simply going to be the design choice of Scribus, or is it just not implemented yet?

I have trouble understanding why this would be preferable compared to the system as seen in InDesign (and other desktop publishing software) wherein master pages can actually be used for designing layouts. If the layout of a master page is adjusted, changes are automatically applied to all pages derived from the master. I understand the scrapbook as a workaround, but unless I'm completely mistaken, that workflow would instead be:

• Create a layout.
  • Copy it to the scrapbook.
  • Apply the layout to any number of pages.
  • Decide that a text frame in your layout should actually be 0.25" shorter than originally specified.
  • Manually select each text frame and resize it (or use a script to accomplish this, assuming one exists or you have the ability to code it).

Note that I totally understand that Scribus is FOSS and shouldn't be expected to maintain feature parity with products backed by billion-dollar companies; my question is whether this is an intentional design choice.
Beginner Talk / Re: Recurring text to many pag...
Last post by Nermander - May 30, 2024, 03:52:42 PM
Quote from: finnishcoffee on May 29, 2024, 01:43:24 PMYeh, that is the plan - I just cant get to how I should copy the info in those 2 cells to the text boxes on master pages.

Edit the master pages?
Scripts and Plugins / Re: Is there a simple way to f...
Last post by MrB - May 30, 2024, 07:57:39 AM
ANNAME="Blah" is correct where that is the name given to the object.
OwnPage stores the page number of the object.
I wouldn't be surprised if that code needs updating but I'm not sure myself if it needs changing or exactly how.
Last post by TemperateBroadleaf - May 29, 2024, 11:03:56 PM
Quote from: MrB on May 29, 2024, 10:22:16 PMHow about getItemPageNumber() ?
Wow, I have no idea how that slipped by me in the docs. I think I spent all my time looking at "Frame Properties" and "Pages" rather than the more general "Items". Solved. Thank you!

One follow-up, though: that linked example from the wiki is truly out of date, right? Meaning, there's no longer an attribute called "ANNAME" attached to PAGEOBJECT in the XML? Assuming that's true, I'll update it with a working alternative when I get a chance.
Last post by MrB - May 29, 2024, 10:22:16 PM
How about getItemPageNumber() ?
Scripts and Plugins / Is there a simple way to find ...
Last post by TemperateBroadleaf - May 29, 2024, 09:40:19 PM
I can't seem to find any current documentation on how to programmatically get the page of a given selected object. There is an example given on the wiki page for scripting, but it doesn't seem to work as PAGEOBJECT doesn't have an ANNAME attribute. (I assume this is due to some change in the spec since the guide was originally written.)

Is there any way of doing this? (Note that I'm aware of workarounds for achieving the end result I'm looking for; I'm asking this specific question because it seems like it should be possible, but I can't find any way of doing so.)

EDIT: Additional note, in case anyone asks: selectObject("name") does not appear to update the current working page to match the selected object. If I iterate over a list of objects using deselectAll() followed by selectObject("name") and check the current working page with currentPage() each time, it will give the same result regardless of which object is currently selected.
Last post by PatJr - May 29, 2024, 03:25:17 PM
post a simplified sample file
maybe someone here can reply with a model you can use to set your master pages up with
Last post by finnishcoffee - May 29, 2024, 01:43:24 PM
Quote from: Nermander on May 28, 2024, 08:51:38 PMThat looks like the perfect situation for Master pages?

Yeh, that is the plan - I just cant get to how I should copy the info in those 2 cells to the text boxes on master pages.
Every issue of the magazine will have new number and date. They will also be in smaller font on some places.
Last post by Nermander - May 28, 2024, 08:51:38 PM
That looks like the perfect situation for Master pages?
Beginner Talk / Recurring text to many pages
Last post by finnishcoffee - May 28, 2024, 08:31:26 PM
Hi!
I'm working on layout for a magazine and I need to have issue number and release date visible on multiple pages, kind of like page numbering.
My first thought was to have 2 cells outside of the document itself, one for the issue nr and the other with the date. But now I cant figure out how to copy/link the content of those cells to text boxes for use with for example a header or footer.
Copy/Pasting such text boxes manually onto same spot on every page is not a viable option.
The idea is to put the issue nr and date in 2 boxes that are part of a page template where they update every page just from the two original cells.
As more issues of the magazine are made, those to cells would be the only ones I need to edit and the linked text boxes on every template that has them will update it, including the front page where said information will have different font for the content copied from the cells.

Somewhere in a youtube video, a person mentioned fetching cell info to a text box using a "formula bar" but with windows version 1.6.1 of Scribus, I'll be darned to find any such formula bar anywhere. ???