Scribus 1.5.8 on Ventura

Previous topic - Next topic

zooterkin

I've been using Scribus 1.4.8 on Windows pretty happily.  I've just got a new Macbook.  I've discovered that 1.4.8 won't work at all on Ventura.  I've tried installing 1.5.8, but it doesn't seem to install properly (it doesn't get added as a new app, it seems to run the installation package each time), and when it does run all the icons seem to be missing.  Apologies for some of the vagueness, I'm new to MacOS, but I've installed other apps fine.  Also, there didn't seem to be the option to open a file from a network share, but that could be a consequence of not installing properly.

Is Scribus supported on MacOS 13?

utnik

hi zooterkin

Quote from: zooterkin on February 17, 2023, 09:32:14 AM...I've tried installing 1.5.8, but it doesn't seem to install properly (it doesn't get added as a new app, it seems to run the installation package each time)...
where did you get scribus 1.5.8?
try this! it's the official .dmg file for macOS.
on my macbook i run scribus 1.5.8, 1.5.9.svn and 1.7.0.svn – since a couple of days on ventura 13.2.1...

utnik

zooterkin

Yes, that's where I got it from.

utnik

ok. then i don't know what's wrong.
it works fine on my computer under ventura.

utnik

zooterkin

Quote from: utnik on February 18, 2023, 04:36:39 AMok. then i don't know what's wrong.
it works fine on my computer under ventura.

utnik
Thank you, that is useful information.  Knowing that it should work means it's worth investigating further.  I'll try to pin down what I'm doing wrong, thank you!

zooterkin

Ok, thank you for your help!  My problems were due to lack of familiarity with the MacOS environment.  Firstly, I hadn't properly installed the application, only run the install image.  What was then confusing me was that I had dark mode selected, and none of the icons were visible.  Switching to light mode fixed that (though it would be nice if scribus supported dark mode, or perhaps that's something else I need to find).

Anyway, thanks for your patience!  Time to find the differences from 1.4.8 now...

MrB

Dark mode/light mode OS detection is sourced via Qt, and as soon as we can collect that info via Qt, we will auto select the mode.
Good to hear you are up and running.

utnik

hi zooterkin

Quote from: zooterkin on February 18, 2023, 06:05:35 PM...that I had dark mode selected, and none of the icons were visible.  Switching to light mode fixed that (though it would be nice if scribus supported dark mode, or perhaps that's something else I need to find).
for dark mode you need to select a different icon set. ('preferences' → 'user interface' → 'main window' → 'icin set' → 'scribus 1.5.1 dark')

utnik

Racke Rauchzart

hi,

I am also struggling to install Scribus on a new mac (with M2 processor, on Ventura 13.5.1).

I downloaded the file, double clicked it to run the installer and can see now a file called Scribus in the program folder. If I double click, I see a short animation, then nothing. No error message. In the list of programs currently running (the command-option-escape screen) it is not listed.

In such a situation, Apple suggests to click the program icon while holding the control key. Context menu opens, but selecting Open from there does not make a difference.

After opening Information from the context menu of the file I see that I have just the rights to read and write. So for me it smells like I need the execution rights, can that be? But I see no way to add them. I wonder if it is a Scribus issue or an Apple issue.

Thank you...

Racke Rauchzart

I just see there are no (visible) execution rights, and my user seems to be an administrator. So it seems this idea was misleading.

--- --- - - - -.-  - - - --- –

So then I restarted the machine (Chines wisdom: "Wenn nix mehr tut, reboot"). When I tried again, I was asked to install Rosetta (which I had not been needing before). After this, Scribus did start.

I am not aware to have seen this Rosetta screen before. Anyway..

Are there currently any development efforts towards getting it running natively on the topic Apple platform?

Thank you.

MrB

Yes, when we release 1.6.0, I will have an Apple silicon build.
I just uploaded an test version at https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-svn/1.5.9.svn/ called scribus-1.5.x-nightly_Monterey-arm64-20231221-r25904.dmg

Please test!