"Universal" character style?

Previous topic - Next topic

nightshift

Ok, the topic title probably isn't correct, but I had a hard time thinking of how to state the problem succinctly.
Using 1.5.6 on Debian. I have a document that has quite a few paragraph styles mainly being used for titles, headings, and body text, which covers the font, font size, line spacing etc.

What I want to do is create a number of character styles for changing just the font color, or adding emphasis, and be able to apply those to select words regardless of the paragraph style applied. IE, I have a heading style that is 18pt text, automatic line spacing and a few other settings, and I have a body text style that is 12pt, align to baseline, indents defined. I want to create a character style that would, in effect, change just the selected text red and be able to apply that to either paragraph style, without disturbing the size, font and spacing already set.

Is this possible, or do I need to create a character style for each paragraph style that this change might get applied to?

AdmFubar

The character style, separate from the paragraph style wont have and effect on the paragraph style you created. It should simply change the character(s) selected to newly  defined style, leaving the rest untouched.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

nightshift

Quote from: AdmFubar on March 28, 2023, 04:02:34 AMThe character style, separate from the paragraph style wont have and effect on the paragraph style you created. It should simply change the character(s) selected to newly  defined style, leaving the rest untouched.

Yes, but, as it stands right now I have to set (or accept defaults) for font, font size, alignment, etc which would override the already set paragraph style values for those on the text I apply the character style to, unless I'm somehow missing an option or checkbox somewhere. So, what I'm asking is, does that option exist?

PatJr

when I tried this, it seems to work like you want
but maybe I don't understand what you want

maybe sketch up a hierarchy tree to make a picture of how you want the styles to work?

it is easy to see how this will spin out of control and get very confusing almost from the get-go
pile on top of that the inheritances styles, it's a spider web

AdmFubar

Ok I did a test in 1.7.0 svn of Scribus. It works as expected.  I created paragraph style and a couple of character styles. Applied styles. Edited the character style and clicked apply. The changes were applied. This might be fully implemented in 1.7.0 . I've not tried it in 1.5.8.  or .6 YMMV.
Using Scribus 1.6.1, openSUSE 15.5
Advanced hobbyist

MrB

I don't think we have changed anything in 1.7.0.svn vs 1.5.9.svn with regards to character styles. They should be equivalent. Using 1.5.6 however, no guarantees. We will release 1.6.0 soon enough.