Recent posts

Beginner Talk / Re: Page Numbering
Last post by PatJr - May 26, 2024, 02:46:16 PM
it helps sometimes if you have an abbreviated sample file to post up to demonstrate the problems
for this one, it looks like utnik had the best guidance
Beginner Talk / Re: Transparency and proper ex...
Last post by OSDP - May 26, 2024, 12:55:56 PM
Quote from: OSDP on April 11, 2024, 02:47:37 AMI prefer to export cover/poster/work in one image .tiff.

Always ensure with a background color/image. Becouse the .tiff manages transparency.
Or exporting in .jpg / .jpeg : not manages transparency.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/file-types/image/comparison/jpeg-vs-tiff.html

The Tag(ged) Image File Format generally abbreviated TIFF is a file format for digital image. Adobe is the custodian and initial owner (via Aldus).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG
Beginner Talk / Re: Page Numbering
Last post by utnik - May 26, 2024, 07:55:35 AM
hi elaphae

Quote from: elaphae on May 26, 2024, 03:30:00 AM...Scribus is not showing me the # when I set page numbering though.
afaik this '#' sign as a placeholder passed a long time ago. scribus shows a real page number, even when editing a master page.

Quote...The pages that I number reset my margin (only) on the right side pages so that the wider margin is on the outside.
looks as if you applied a left master page to right document pages.

QuoteAs a last resort I am consider reinstalling Scribus but don't know if when I do so my existing documents will be removed as well.
you wouldn't loose your documents. but reinstalling scribus won't help either.

utnik
Beginner Talk / Page Numbering
Last post by elaphae - May 26, 2024, 03:30:00 AM
Two thigs:
Win 10 Scribus 1.6.1 novice user although worked with QuarkXPress over a decade and edited magazines and books with it.
I had a tremendous problem with page numbers. Researched posts here and still was not able to fix it. THEN I noticed something that I had not seen mentioned the "Apply Master Page" option when I right click the page. Fixed that. Scribus is not showing me the # when I set page numbering though. I tried resetting shortcuts and restarting both Scribus and the computer with no luck.

Second problem: The document is facing pages and I set my inside (gutter) margins wider than the outside. The pages that I number reset my margin (only) on the right side pages so that the wider margin is on the outside. I double checked that I had not made a mistake in Document Setup and unless I change the Master page to the section with numbers the margins are correct. I am thinking that I am not seeing something that is so basic that it is not mentioned.

As a last resort I am consider reinstalling Scribus but don't know if when I do so my existing documents will be removed as well. I have quite a bit of time and effort invested in another document and would not want to have it evaporate. Any suggestions welcomed.
General Discussion / Re: Unable to work on older fi...
Last post by AdmFubar - May 25, 2024, 09:40:59 PM
Quote from: Rui! on May 25, 2024, 01:56:28 PMThank you for the information.

Unfortunately I can't access the old disk, I formatted it because I'm going to give the pc to my daughter.

That's a real shame, does it mean that I can't even recover the text?
If you only have formatted the disk, and the partitioning hasnt changed, then recovery is simple. Use photorec to recover the data on the disk. You will need another disk with enough space to recover the data source drive data.

Versions are available for all major platforms
See https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Last post by utnik - May 25, 2024, 02:46:44 PM
hi rui

if you didn't something special, the text should be there. (but a single line of text i. e. a title in a tight frame may not be visible, as the new scribus version with it's new text layout engine or a replaced font on the new computer might lead to a text overflow...)
with the images it is a bit more complicated. if you still have all the images, a manual recovery is doable, but might be time consuming. the situation is much better if all the images are in the same directory. in this case you could change edit path to the images in the code of the .sla file. ('search and replace' with a text editor)

utnik
Last post by Rui! - May 25, 2024, 01:56:28 PM
Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately I can't access the old disk, I formatted it because I'm going to give the pc to my daughter.

That's a real shame, does it mean that I can't even recover the text?

I found this:

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_can_I_move_a_Scribus_file_to_another_computer_along_with_its_images%3f#:~:text=How%20can%20I%20move%20a%20Scribus%20file%20to,copy%20the%20entire%20directory%20to%20the%20other%20computer.

It seems to me like there would be more than one way to move files from one computer to another, or am I reading too much?
Scribus forums / Re: Forum Spam
Last post by Nermander - May 25, 2024, 11:40:14 AM
This forum has very active moderators, and the moderators also have access to information we users do not have (like user e-mail and IP-address). So usually spam post (and users) are removed within a day or so.
Scribus forums / Re: Forum Spam
Last post by MrB - May 25, 2024, 10:41:46 AM
No need to report to admin, really. I (and others) check recent posts every day. The problem is that its not necessarily automated bots creating accounts but also real people. Very little we can do to avoid it I feel, apart from raising the barrier for initial account creation which will reduce real users getting in to get help.
General Discussion / Re: Debian Still on 1.5.8
Last post by brandon698sherrick - May 25, 2024, 10:09:03 AM
 Debian's bug tracker is typically for reporting issues, not requesting new features. Look for a mechanism for submitting feature requests on Debian's website. Don't report a bug, request a feature. Look for Debian's feature request channel.