All items no longer visible in document

Previous topic - Next topic

kittenlibrarian

I have had this issue for some time, and have yet to find a solution.

Sometimes when I am working on a scribus document, everything within the document suddenly becomes invisible. Everything is still there - I can select items, etc, and can see their 'box' outlines, but they are otherwise completely invisible (including text). No action seems to reverse this. The only solution is to start all over again and hope that I have a saved backup (or close without saving).

Undoing multiple actions (usually more than 3, but not necessarily more than that) can result in this.

I have also recently being using the Scribus Generator Script, but have found that if I try to edit the generated scribus files, they are invisible.

If I copy everything and paste it into a brand new document, they will become visible again.

How can this be fixed?

Please help! It's driving me nuts!

[This issue was reported by another user in this post, but it didn't recieve any replies; I am hoping that I might have better luck with finding a solution by posting about it: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php?topic=1599.0 ]

a.l.e

hi, which version of scribus are you using?

if you can replicate this, please submit the concerned file and the step to reproduce to the bug tracker!

(this means: if you see this and you just saved the file before seeing this happened, close the file without saving, reopen it, do the same steps and see if it breaks again. if does, please upload the file and the list of steps you did!)

and if you see something like this, you should definitively close without saving.

there are still bugs in the undo code (it has been added very late!) and you still have to be careful when undoing.
there are several cases where i prefer to close the document without saving, rather than undoing...

bogoberi

:o Hi all,
I experiment the same problem ( except blank occurs from the opening of the existing documents and I did not install any script )

I ve been using Scribus for some days now, was great ! Til I opened my document and ... all the pages are white !
Same if I switch to @View mode@

When I print, it s correct, all content are there

The problem is I need to keep editing it ...

Info
I use Scribus 1,5,2  ( latest version)
I m on the latest Apple OS (Sierra )
I don t use any ghost script
All existing documents I open have the same issue
I already tried to restart Scribus a few times, as my mac. With no more results

Thanks in advance community !
Modify message

a.l.e

hi

can you share the file?

in public or in private?

... or simply add the file to https://bugs.scribus.net ... if you want you can mark the ticket as private, then only the developers will see it...

ciao
a.l.e

utnik

hi bogoberi

without the documents it's hard to seee what's wrong.
if you upload one of your projects? ('file' → 'collect for output'...), i'll take a look at it.

utnik

edit: i just saw your bug report – on my system your file works as expected.

a.l.e

i could also see the items in the .sla attached to the ticket...

i wonder what's going on...

Kunda

Craig has offered a workaround in the meantime:
Ref: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=14425#c42804
QuoteHe says he can reproduce the bug in 1.5.2 but says it works correctly in 1.5.3svn
<MrB> very weird
<MrB> that file is somehow corrupt
<MrB> if i select one item and set the stroke colour to something else, i can then see the whole document
<MrB> they a) need to back up the file
<MrB> b) find a text frame and set the stroke colour to something other than none
<MrB> click around and it might refresh and be ok
<MrB> save
<MrB> there must be something in the file

Marc

Quote from: kittenlibrarian on November 22, 2016, 05:22:48 AM
Sometimes when I am working on a scribus document, everything within the document suddenly becomes invisible. Everything is still there - I can select items, etc, and can see their 'box' outlines, but they are otherwise completely invisible (including text). No action seems to reverse this. The only solution is to start all over again and hope that I have a saved backup (or close without saving).
I had this same error in my 1.4.6. Scribus, using Ubuntu 18.04. That's how I found this issue topic. The point where my document went all 'blank', was when I imported an AI-vector file into the document. Somehow it affected all items. After deleting the whole thing, all other elements came back became visible again. Maybe this experience helps to target the problem.
Cheers!

a.l.e

if you import the ai file in a (copy of) a scribus file, does the issue happen again?

if it's the case, please upload the file to https://bugs.scribus.net !
(you can mark the ticket as private if you don't want it to be world visible)

i_o

similar happened on Scribus Portable 1.4.8, Windows 10

Something went corrupted, so text frame content did not show.
Solution: create new document and import some/all required pages with Page > Import (add to end of document)