How easy/hard is it to work with *.sla for text translation?

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyeti

Hi guys,

I am often translating various texts/pdfs/rulebooks etc. and I am using a CAT tool for translation, which can conveniently import for instance Word, TXT, RTF, HTML or XML, by "stripping" the non-text content and only giving me the text for translation.

Is this somehow possible with Scribus? I know *.sla files are essentially XML, but it might not be "pure" XML, or?

Subsequently, is it possible to use external text in Scribus, imported into text frames from separate files? How limited is this functionality (as I imagine any formatting is done in Scribus, so getting text imported means no automated formatting is done)?

utnik

hi joeyeti

i'm not sure if scribus is the optimal tool for your needs. but if you decide that it is, a script to extract the text might be useful.

utnik

joeyeti

Quote from: utnik on March 16, 2023, 12:52:37 PMhi joeyeti

i'm not sure if scribus is the optimal tool for your needs. but if you decide that it is, a script to extract the text might be useful.

utnik
Thx! Yes, Scribus might indeed not be the best one...

The scrip would be nice, but you would need to reimport it back, so again manual work.

zacl

I think I have done what you want to do for fan translation of a game. I translate text in Gdrive calc. I made a templateScribus file with placeholder text in frame box (line number of the Gcalc sheet where text is located). A python code take the text with formatting (bold, italic, color) and replace it in the template.
I can autogenerate a pdf like that.