Recent posts

Linux / Re: Installing Scribus 1.6.1 o...
Last post by Ronald12 - Today at 07:51:38 AM
I was meaning the .SLA-file.
For example I can open a .gnucash-fie in windows Gnucash and i could always open an .sla-file both on windows and linux.

I know that the executable files aren´t compatible, but the datafiles are compatible.
Do you know whether a 1.6.1 is downwards compatible with 1.5.8?
Beginner Talk / Re: Using Scribus with childre...
Last post by jumpingporpoise - Today at 06:21:42 AM
Quote from: WilkoatWestfield on June 15, 2024, 11:19:08 PMI am a UK primary school teacher and intending to use Scribus in the classroom to cover the very simple basics of DTP.

I'm following an accredited curriculum resource that many UK schools use from the National Centre for Computing Education called TeachComputing.

A unit of work introducing the basics of desk top publishing for Year 3 pupils (that's 7 and 8 year olds) which was based around Microsoft Publisher has just been replaced with a unit now using Canva (free education accounts are available to schools).

I would much rather use Scribus and wondered if anyone here is aware of any resources already specifically made for children / younger users, or has any experience if doing so and any issues I should be aware of.

Thank you all!

Using Scribus with Year 3 pupils (7-8 year olds) for introducing the basics of desktop publishing is a great initiative! While there may not be specific resources tailored explicitly for young children using Scribus, you can certainly adapt the learning materials and activities to suit their age and understanding.
General Discussion / Re: text center
Last post by jumpingporpoise - Today at 06:19:57 AM
Quote from: keko1963 on May 15, 2024, 02:09:13 PMIn Scribus, I created a table with 2 rows and 10 cells each. In the bottom row, I need to write one letter in each cell, centered in the middle of the cell. The only alignment option I found centers the letter in the middle of the row, but the letter touches the line of the cell and is not in the middle of the cell. This alignment only aligns the letter or text in that row where the text is written. I can't find an option to align to the center of the cell, as is possible in Excel. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this?
Select the Text in Each Cell: Click inside each cell of the bottom row where you want to center the letter.

Adjust Text Properties:

Go to Properties > Text.
Ensure that the text is set to align center horizontally (Align center) and vertically (Align center) within each cell.
Adjust Cell Padding (if needed): Sometimes, adjusting the padding of the cells can help center the text more precisely.

Right-click on the table and select Properties.
Go to the Columns & Text tab.
Adjust the Cell inset X and Cell inset Y values to increase or decrease the space within the cells.
Manually Adjust Text Position (if necessary): If the text is still not perfectly centered visually, you can manually adjust the position of the text within each cell:

Double-click on the cell to enter text editing mode.
Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the text within the cell until it looks centered.
Check Overall Table Alignment: Ensure that the table itself is positioned correctly on the page. Sometimes, if the table is not aligned properly on the page, it can affect the perceived centering of text within cells.
Linux / Scribus 1.6.2 was not able to ...
Last post by licheng - Today at 04:57:43 AM
Scribus 1.6.2 compiled successfully on Fedora 40 and Ubuntu 22.04, but failed on Debian 12.

Scribus 1.6.1 compiled without any problem on Debian 12.

Any suggestion?

By the way, I'm just an end user, not a developer.
PDF Generation / Re: PDFs greater than 4Gb 'nee...
Last post by kiwi_steve - Today at 04:25:15 AM
I have tried looking through the print preview - I can view the book cover-to-cover with no problems in the viewer.

Definitely crashes in 1.6, although I will give it another go just for fun.

The printers managed to print an approval copy for me after I split the file down into smaller sections... and that has been signed off, and it's now in the final print run, which is exciting.

Cheers, Steve
PDF Generation / Re: Best pdf output for Family...
Last post by kiwi_steve - Today at 04:22:39 AM
From talking with my printer, 1.4 is fine for most things - the later updates add features that don't seem to add anything useful for printing a book.

That is a very general statement, of course - you should ask your printer what version they need.

Re: quality vs. size - I turn off all compression to make sure the finished article is the highest quality possible (ie: nice sharp images)... again, this was recommended by my printer (Craigs in Invercargill)

Cheers, Steve
Linux / Re: Installing Scribus 1.6.1 o...
Last post by AdmFubar - Today at 02:12:56 AM
This windows file will not open in linux, there are two very different os's.

best to let your distro handle the install from their repositories. check if there is a flatpack or snap for your distro if you need it right away.

>>I copied the 1.6.1-file from windows to my linux-laptop, but there i couldn´t open the windows-file in scribus 1.5.8 on linux.
So I downloaded 1.6.1 for Linux, but i don´t know how to install it.<<

do you mean the .sla file or the  scribus for windows install> .exe or .msi?
Linux / Installing Scribus 1.6.1 on li...
Last post by Ronald12 - June 16, 2024, 10:38:24 PM
I have just downloaded Scribus 1.6.1 for linux and Iḿn using Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon.
Which file should i Use to install this update. I was using 1.5.8 on linux and 1.6.1 on windows.

On windows 11 23H2 I have problems checking my file before printing or exporting to PDF.
When i want to check the file for errors, Scribus 1.6.1 quits.

I copied the 1.6.1-file from windows to my linux-laptop, but there i couldn´t open the windows-file in scribus 1.5.8 on linux.
So I downloaded 1.6.1 for Linux, but i don´t know how to install it.
I've been trying to read the readme-files, but i couldn´t find anything about installing. Not even the sudo-way.

Who can help me?

I like linux a lot, but installing programs or updates should be made easier.
Last post by FemmesoleNZ - June 16, 2024, 07:02:14 AM
Thank you. Will read.

Did not know direct importing of pdf possible. Seemed to be only images & text.

Last post by AdmFubar - June 16, 2024, 03:13:58 AM
Take a look here and see what version of the PDF spec will be best for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_PDF

quick question, why the conversion from pdf to png? Why not just import the pdf directly into scribus?