Cannot link text boxes

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

Ive creates master pages that contain text boxes.  Then I created normal pages and applied my 'masters' to them.

However, I can only select the text boxes on one of my pages. It will not link to the others.  Also the other pages do not show a red bounding box when clicked.  They seem to be locked?  But they show a red box when in 'Master edit' mode.

Can someone help me get these text boxes going please?
My first 'puter was a 286,
My first dtp was Aldus Pagemaker,
My first printer was a Little Squirt,
My first car was a motorbike.

a.l.e

hey,

in scribus, master pages are only -- mostly -- a background thing.
items placed on the master page cannot be edited in the "real" page.

you can put there a few guides and then use them in the real page to correctly place frames.
when you select the text tool, shift-click in the middle of a set of guides -- instead of click and drag -- , will create a frame that fits the guides around it.

if you need pre-filled (pre-formatted) frames, you can also put them in the scrapbook and pull them into the real page (or double click on scrapbook item, to get it placed at the place it was when it has been put in the scrapbook)
(and you can put an item (or a group of items) in the scrapbook by right clicking on it and choosing the appropriate command)

does it feel a bit better now?

ciao
a.l.e

Ged

Ive been fighting my mouse for 3 hours.    >:(   That 'shift-click' trick is smart though.

Next question: How do I link a text box so that text flows on to the next page?  Using the 'Link text frame' button works fine between boxes on the same page, but I lose my story when I turn the page.   ???

a.l.e

wait? turning the page? mmm....

anyway:

- select the original frame,
- go to the place where the next frame is, (without clicking on another frame or the desktop)
- activate the link tool (or just press n)
- click on the target frame...

or just the zoom (ctrl  + / -; ... ctrl-mouse wheel) in and out to get (or not) multiple pages on your monitor...

ciao
a.l.e

Ged

OK, Ive linked them, but now I have to unlink them again because I want to apply a different style to one of the text boxes.  Ive found the unlink button and it displays arrows between the various text boxes, but that as far as I get.  How do I break the linkage at one spot without breaking all of them?

Ged

Update:

Ive managed to unlink them but now my original problem has come back; the story doesnt flow to the next page.

I guess I will just cut and paste one chapter at a time, apply styles, then repeat.  This is annoying.

Nermander

Since you are the only one reporting the problem, and a lot of other people use the feature, it must (IMO) be you doing something wrong or misunderstanding something.