Recent posts

Beginner Talk / Some questions about Footnotes
Last post by goldenbrown - February 20, 2024, 02:07:39 PM
Hi everyone, so... I've decided to give it a try to Footnotes (I'm using Scribus version 1.6.1), but I have some questions about it, which I couldn't find answers to on the Scribus Wiki:

1. In the Notes Style Editor, there's a "Range" option, and I can choose between 'document' or 'story'.  But What exactly do these options do?

2. I'm currently working on a long document, which I broke down into several chapters; Each chapter is self-contained, having its own set of linked frames. Is there any way to restart the counting of the footnotes for each chapter to avoid something like footnote number ³¹ from happening? 

3. Is there any way to import footnotes from a document (.odt, .docx, etc) into Scribus?

Sorry if it's too many questions at once, but I'm interested in understanding more about the footnote function in Scribus and hopefully get a sense of how I can use it. :)
Beginner Talk / Re: Several basic stuff I cann...
Last post by a.l.e - February 20, 2024, 12:51:56 PM
I moved the suggestions for the nodes editor to its own topic in the UI section:

https://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,4949.msg22769.html#msg22769
Beginner Talk / Re: Pagination of large docume...
Last post by bigal - February 20, 2024, 12:03:00 PM
Thank you for the additional information MrB. That was an aspect of Scribus I was not aware of so something learned today so all to the good for me.

As an experiment I used Scribus to open a 124 page PDF document. I know that my desktop machine is fairly old  but never the less it took over 20 minutes to load. I followed your instructions and exported it as a fresh PDF. That seemed to go well and once the completed file was available I opened with my usual  document viewer, Xreader 4.0.2,  (called Document viewer in the Mint menu system) standard in Linux Mint Cinnamon. The first thing I wanted to do was check the document properties so went to to File>Properties. It soon became obvious that there was a problem as the program ceased to be usable. Document properties were not available. I managed to close the file and Document viewer then deleted the file and restarted the whole process from Scribus. Unfortunately the results were the same. I can only conclude that this is an aspect of Scribus that is not quite as robust as I had expected and that the exported file had, somehow, been corrupted.

In any case, everything was far too slow so the method I outlined in my previous post will be the one I am using. Never the less, I do thank you for the very clear instructions. That method of printing will, I am sure, be useful in the future with my normal Scribus documents.
User Interface / Re: Several basic stuff I cann...
Last post by tom - February 20, 2024, 08:54:12 AM
Today I noticed, Vectorpea has a very modern/clever Pen tool not requiring any of these buttons/modes to switch between options. Double-clicking a node cycles its behavior and so double-clicking a control point cycles its own. Handsome!
Beginner Talk / Re: Scribus cannot seem to imp...
Last post by nijineko - February 19, 2024, 11:14:01 PM
Quote from: a.l.e on February 10, 2024, 08:16:51 PMmay i ask you, why do you want to get through scribus?

what are you missing in the pdf created by libreoffice?
I am wanting to get it into a file format that is recognized by publishers. Scribus is one potential option.

Quote from: Nermander on February 11, 2024, 09:27:07 AM
Quote from: nijineko on February 10, 2024, 07:54:16 PMI can try the base odt files in Scribus... however it has been laid out such in the odt files to prevent paragraphs and tables from being split across pages, so there are a lot of inserted page breaks - might be problematic.

Not to be picky, but adding manual page breaks is usually not the best way to handle things like like that. But maybe Libreoffice does not have all the necessary functions.

In MS Word there is at least a paragraph property to not split a paragraph over a page break, there is a paragraph property to "keep with next" (so if you use that on a few paragraphs, they will all end up on the same page as the paragraph after them).

I almost never add a manual page break in MS Word, because there is even a "page break before" option for paragraphs. A manually inserted page break essentially becomes a character and can cause a lot of issues when you try to move things around.
Yeah, I probably have my settings incorrect because LibreOffice does have paragraph widow/orphan controls.
Beginner Talk / Re: Can't select multiple chec...
Last post by Riquez - February 19, 2024, 09:08:55 PM
Quote from: PatJr on February 18, 2024, 09:09:53 PMwhat pdf reader are you using
have you tried to use a web browser to view the pdf

can you post a sample sla file?

Thanks. I'm using Gnome Document Viewer (aka Evince) v45
In firefox the checkboxes work, so im guessing Evince is the issue.

Here is the .sla anyway (google drive) (there's a BG image, it will probably be missing, but the check boxes are top right x3)
Beginner Talk / Re: Pagination of large docume...
Last post by MrB - February 19, 2024, 09:05:22 PM
You can export from Scribus in whatever page order you want.
On the PDF export window, under Export Range, select Choose Pages, click the ellipses...,
On the first tab, you can put in whatever sort order you want.. or use Advanced Reordering and then choose your page group size, likely 4 (the default).
That will give you page order 380,1,2,379,378,3,4... etc
Last post by tom - February 19, 2024, 08:55:56 PM
Quote from: Nermander on February 19, 2024, 08:12:55 PMBecause there is not much use implementing the same things in several applications.
Not exactly. Just for sake of already having vectors elsewhere, they now need to add full CMYK support to make it compatible with Scribus. Apart from all the file export/import chain...
Last post by Nermander - February 19, 2024, 08:12:55 PM
Quote from: tom on February 19, 2024, 05:08:30 PMOh, man! Now this is great and feels like home! :o So, why can't we have the same Bezier functionality in Scribus? Going between several applications is not the end of world but, doing it just to manage a few control points decently is funny.

Because there is not much use implementing the same things in several applications.

You are essentially saying that you do now want to use a screwdriver for screws, you want your wrench to also be able to handle screws.
User Interface / Improve the nodes editing
Last post by tom - February 19, 2024, 07:44:40 PM
Quote from: a.l.e on February 19, 2024, 06:23:06 PMstill, it would be wonderful, if somebody who knows more than average about vector drawing could help improve the node editing in scribus!
just the interaction, not the features.
as it is now, it's painful.
Sure! It's pretty simple and current nodes panel has just more stuff than needed and missing the essential ones. These are:
1) There should not be separate pickers (move) for Nodes and Node Controls. Single one should be able to pick both a node or a control point.
2) Only blue ones are OK and the rest are not required.

3) Symmetric and others are not the same thing. So, it additionally needs a Smooth and Auto-Smooth button.
Therefore they are:
a) Corner Node
b) Smooth Node
c) Symmetric Node
d) Auto-Smooth Node
Well, the Inkscape's Pen tool options look quite perfect as a reference.