Recent posts

Text and Typography / Re: Article Title span across ...
Last post by Aleks100 - April 02, 2024, 10:29:50 AM
Same here.
Тhat is the way I was doing newspaper layout design 30 years ago & there's no reason to change it today.
Layout Issues / Display previous page number
Last post by Z4uit - April 02, 2024, 10:26:40 AM
Would there be a way to insert the page number from the PREVIOUS page and add it to a master page?

I am using Scribus 1.6.1 on Windows 10.
Last post by a.l.e - April 02, 2024, 08:48:52 AM
personally, when i load the text from an external source, i mostly use as target the first frame with the body text.

then cut and paste the parts that belong in separate frames (title, subtitle, boxes) to the respective frames.

of course, one can also put everything in one single chain of frames and use the frame breaks to keep them in place.

i can't explain the exact reason why i prefer to do it this way, but it might be related to the fact that titles and subtitles often need to be resized (with newlines or even shortened) to fit in the available space and i don't want the whole text to move around while i do that.

all this, if in your last sentence you were speaking about one single chain not a single frame.

if the question is indeed about using a single frame, in this specific case, scribus does not allow different column layouts in the same frame (nor complex columns layouts) and, personally, i prefer to keep the flexibility of having multiple frames that can easily be aligned with the images.
Last post by srikrishnan - April 02, 2024, 06:12:59 AM
Thanks, at present i also done as per in my first mail in a separate text frame.

when i checking your sla file, i got another doubt. if you dont mind please clarify me.

there are three text frames in your sla file.

Frame: Text1 containts Title as a separate text (when i see in story editor)
Frame: Text2 and Text3 contains same body matter flow from one frame to another frame.

my question is, why dont we use same text frame on all three text frames i.e. across two column frames and single column frames? in order to maintain the text as single stream. if it is possible it would be helpful to maintain the text inside and outside scribus conveniently.

regards,
Srikrishnan

thanks,
Srikrishnan
Last post by a.l.e - April 01, 2024, 09:29:11 PM
personally, for such cases i like to:

- create a typographic grid (page > manage guides > column/row),
- activate the snapping to guides,
- use shift click to create frames that fill the "cells",
- and finally resize the frames to fit one, two, or more cells.

typographic-grid.png

i attach a trivial .sla and .pdf that show how it looks like
Text and Typography / Article Title span across two ...
Last post by srikrishnan - April 01, 2024, 12:00:57 PM
Hi,

I have a double column sla file. But article title need to be spanned across two column. Now i am creating a separate frame across two columns and cut and paste the article title into that text frame. instead of that is there any possibility to span the Article title across two column through paragraph style?

regards,
Srikrishnan
General Discussion / Re: Hiring Scribus Experts for...
Last post by Aleks100 - April 01, 2024, 10:44:56 AM
1. DTP paradigm is easy to grasp: "Put everything in frame."
2. This Magazine design is so simple that could be done in Xerox Ventura Publisher, and for sure it will be improved in Scribus - for start use Align to Baseline Grid for copy text. Baseline grid alignement exist in Quark and for some reason it is not used in linked pdf.
3. I don't see any reason to go from Quark to IDML and than to Sribus. Just do everything in Scribus.
General Discussion / Re: [TOC] get an attribute dir...
Last post by MrB - April 01, 2024, 10:30:12 AM
A few more commits to fix another issue and code simplification in r26082. Your test still passes.
Scripts and Plugins / Re: problem with execution off...
Last post by srikrishnan - April 01, 2024, 10:15:05 AM
I am using Windows 10 and Scribus 1.6.1. in my system "CalendarWizard" script runs perfectly. just for your information

regards,
Srikrishnan
General Discussion / Re: Hiring Scribus Experts for...
Last post by a.l.e - April 01, 2024, 10:07:06 AM
yes, going through IDML, if quark has the feature, is probably the best way to move to scribus.

on the other side, the document is rather simple to rebuild in scribus and recreating it can make sure that the template is created in a way that is then easier to use in scribus.

also, at its beginnings the workflows in scribus were often inspired by people who were using quark, so it's should not be that hard to move to scribus.