Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Free discussion / Frame of image tool gets printed cut on 2 sides.
« Last post by sdenna on December 01, 2021, 05:15:15 pm »
My company and our customers are facing this boring glitch on some ".sla" files.
When we try to print a text with an image next to it we see sometimes a 2 side frame on the border of the image in the print preview (Scribus preview and our Printer Driver's preview. eg: image with top and left side of the image frame or bottom right).

Here is an example of a png image being printed with the half frame: https://imgur.com/a/sDYJ3A4

The real problem is that we can't troubleshoot the error because it seem to happen randomly.
There are days in which we can print over 50 different files using Scribus without any problem and sometimes we face this glitch and can't print correctly.

I've tried to look for a solution here and on the web but it seems no one has ever faced this kind of issue.
PDF Generation / Blurb
« Last post by phdeletree on December 01, 2021, 12:46:52 pm »
Hello (google traduction)

I made a photo book with Scribus to upload it to the Blurb site. I have vectorize the fonts well. I tried downloading the book from the Blurb site and I still get this error message from Blurb:

It looks like this PDF was generated with the Scribus app. We found that Scribus did not integrate the fonts correctly. Your file may not pass preflight. If you have any problems, please cut out the fonts and re-import them.

------

I then converted my text blocks by menu / object / convert to outline hoping to find the solution but I got the same error message on the Blurb site.

In their message I don't know what they mean by "please cut out the fonts and re-import"

Do you know of a solution to avoid this error message regarding fonts at Blurb?

I have already made two books at home with version 1.4 of scribus I believe and I have not had any particular problem except the measures of the document which were corrected by Blurb in its verification process.

Thank you for your possible help.

Philippe
Beginner Talk / Re: Choosing from dropdowns
« Last post by toyotadesigner on November 30, 2021, 09:22:28 pm »
OK, I don't run BigSur, but Catalina. Procedure should be identical.

Go to »System Preferences« -> In the bottom left corner »Click the lock to make changes«, then »Click Security and Privacy«, then click the tab »Privacy«.

Follow the screenshots below and check if your settings are identical.

Or just reboot.

In addition it might help to install the current svn: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-svn/1.5.8.svn/

Scroll down and select »Scribus15xNightly_Mojave-20211008-r24739.dmg«, download and install it. In case the system should ask you: Allow every access to the system. First time, open the app with a right click and then open, then agree. Your system will memorize it, it's a one time task.

« Last post by vulpeto on November 30, 2021, 06:52:33 pm »
macOS BigSur 11.2.3
Scribus Version 1.5.6.1

thanks for trying to figure out what is going on  :)
PDF Generation / Re: cropping images to the visible part on export
« Last post by Dogil on November 30, 2021, 06:07:17 pm »
GhostScript devs say this functionality will not be implemented in GS:

"This isn't really feasible. There is no way to know, at the time the image is encoutnered, what portion of it will eventually be visible.

This problem is compounded by the PDF transparency model, we really can't tell whether the portion of the image lying under another object is obscured or contributes to the rendering of that object.

With a great deal of analysis I'm sure this is technically possible, but it would almost certainly require a two pass approach (at least) to identify the Z order of each object, and to determine whether the transparency in force at the time obscrued the underlying image or not.

I'm afraid this is far too much work for what I would have to say is a minority feature"

https://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=704742
« Last post by toyotadesigner on November 30, 2021, 05:35:37 pm »
Which macOS version do you run?
Which Scribus version do you run?
Beginner Talk / Choosing from dropdowns
« Last post by vulpeto on November 29, 2021, 08:47:33 pm »
I'm relatively new to Scribus, but I am enjoying it already.
I am not able to use dropdown menus, once I open them, i cannot use the mouse, only the arrow keys, but then I don't know how to select a choice, if I press enter it just opens to change the name. For example on Edit>Colours and Fills>Merge Colour Set.

I am on a mac. I suspect there is a way or a setting that i am missing. Thank you for your help.
Linux / Re: Error 11 Crash on Startup
« Last post by Adrien Hegy on November 29, 2021, 06:00:51 pm »
Hi,

I posted a comment under the Archlinux.org bug tracker with a solution that works for me : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71711

Hi there,

I had a similar problem (#11 signal), I don’t know if it has same origin but what did the job for me :

Use the no-splash option which disable starting screen, after that Scribus start at document creation and seems to work fine.
Following lines from scribus -h gave me this idea (french version, sorry about that) :
-ns, --no-splash Ne pas afficher l'écran de démarrage
-nns, --never-splash Cesse d'afficher l'écran de démarrage au démarrage. Ecrit un fichier vide appelé .neversplash dans ~/.config /scribus
I confirm that using -nns option works even after launching program out of a terminal (from start menu or from a file)

Hope this might help you having Scribus working and maybe debugging the problem.
General Discussion / Re: Scribus immediately crashes
« Last post by Adrien Hegy on November 29, 2021, 05:57:10 pm »
Hi,

I posted a comment under the Archlinux.org bug tracker with a solution that works for me : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71711

Hi there,

I had a similar problem (#11 signal), I don’t know if it has same origin but what did the job for me :

Use the no-splash option which disable starting screen, after that Scribus start at document creation and seems to work fine.
Following lines from scribus -h gave me this idea (french version, sorry about that) :
-ns, --no-splash Ne pas afficher l'écran de démarrage
-nns, --never-splash Cesse d'afficher l'écran de démarrage au démarrage. Ecrit un fichier vide appelé .neversplash dans ~/.config /scribus
I confirm that using -nns option works even after launching program out of a terminal (from start menu or from a file)

Hope this might help you having Scribus working and maybe debugging the problem.
PDF Generation / Re: cropping images to the visible part on export
« Last post by Nermander on November 28, 2021, 12:38:25 pm »
If I may add: I feel like the quality-loss-by-image-recompression argument is moot because:
1. you should work with lossless compression formats anyway
2. if the loss in quality becomes visible, you already have not enough resolution or a too high compression rate set.
If the function was implemented not considering this, the forums would be flooded by users complaining that their JPEG images look crappy in the PDF (becuase they are not aware of that ticking the "crop images to fram" function will suck on their from camera JPEG images).

3. you could just crop on block boundaries as detailed above.
Yes, but that should then be automatic within the function. Scribus in Open Source, anyone can contribute to the function.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10