Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: Page > Import Pages question
« Last post by Nermander on October 06, 2021, 09:14:11 am »
As far as I know Page import is for importing pages from another Scribus document.
Beginner Talk / Page > Import Pages question
« Last post by Jeff in CA on October 05, 2021, 09:52:15 pm »
I have a large book document (387 pages) I've created and formatted in LibreOffice, and am now trying to find the best way to import the text into Scribus. Importing the whole document via Get Text was not successful, even after waiting 2 hours - as many before me have found (was not surprised, but had to try once). It appears the best option is to import small blocks of text (one poster here suggested that 30 pages is about all Scribus seems to be able to handle at once).

Given that the text I want to import is a single 387 page .odt file, I have yet to find a way to easily import just a section or a chapter (or any set number of pages), and can't find a way to break up the .odt document into smaller individual files.

Copy and paste is one option, but is not ideal for a number of reasons including that it does not retain most of the formatting.

There does not seem to be a way to specify the number of pages to import when using Get Text; it appears that you have to import the entire document or not use this method.

I thought that the solution might be via the Page dialogue (Page > Import), but this did not work either. I could enter the file name in the From Document field, but could not find a way to insert the number of pages in the Import Page(s) field - no matter whether I single or double -clicked in the field box, it doesn't seem to be enabled for some reason and I couldn't place the cursor to enter the desired page range. Any thoughts as to what I am doing wrong here? And might Page>Import be a viable solution?

Any other ideas as to the best options for me to import specific text blocks from a large LO .odt file without using copy>paste would be appreciated.
General Discussion / Re: "Interesting" display problems under Linux
« Last post by grue on October 05, 2021, 03:10:33 pm »
Well, what's funny is that on another laptop with Intel graphics and also using the i915 driver these issues do not exist.
Guess I'm going to dig into the driver's bugtracker...

Thanks for your help!
General Discussion / Re: exporting to pdf erased all my left hand pages
« Last post by AdmFubar on October 04, 2021, 10:59:02 pm »
Let's get a clearer indication of what is missing. You are missing either all the even or all odd pages, whichever winds up being placed on the left? or when you open your pdf and view there is a blank left page and all the pages are there but on the right side of the page?
General Discussion / Re: "Interesting" display problems under Linux
« Last post by AdmFubar on October 04, 2021, 10:54:30 pm »
This first image looks like a driver issue. I've had similar issues with firefox on opensuse.The second looks more like an issue with the de. It has been years since i've used gnome, and cant remember if there are any tweaks to the user interface that can change the style, as in kde. Something to look into there.
General Discussion / exporting to pdf erased all my left hand pages
« Last post by sarahmccarriar on October 04, 2021, 06:51:21 pm »
the last time i exported my document to a pdf all of my left hand pages disappeared from my 104 page document. does anyone know why this would have occurred and how to fix it?
PDF Generation / Re: PDF form printing issue - some characters missing
« Last post by Nermander on October 04, 2021, 05:38:45 pm »
I have never played around with forms, but do form fields really use the fonts that are embedded in the PDF?

My impression is that form fields are rather managed by the PDF viewer, and it may depend on the PDF viewer what fonts it uses?

But I may be totally wrong here.
General Discussion / "Interesting" display problems under Linux
« Last post by grue on October 04, 2021, 04:22:38 pm »
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and to using Scribus, so I apologize in advance for any stupid things I might write.

Anyway, here's my problem:

When using Scribus 1.5.7 (yes, ik it's a development version, but it was the first option offered by Manjaro's pamac) on one of my computers I have display/graphics problems in the UI when either choosing the font in a text frame border or wanting to change the line style. See the attachment screenshots for details.

System details:

System:
  Host: helix Kernel: 5.4.148-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME 40.4
  Distro: Manjaro Linux
CPU:
  Info: Dual Core Intel Core i5-3427U [MT MCP] speed: 2383 MHz
  min/max: 800/2800 MHz
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
  Device-2: Lite-On Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Device-3: Lite-On Integrated Rear Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: wayland server: X.org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: i915
  note: n/a (using device driver) - try sudo/root
  resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
  v: 4.2 Mesa 21.2.2

What's funny is that when I use Scribus on my desktop computer that is running exactly the same software setup, but uses an (old) ATI graphics card (idk which one atm as I'm writing this on my affected laptop computer) there are absolutely no glitches.

I tried using a different kernel (5.4) as I'm aware that the i915 driver has some flaws (different story), but to no avail.

Any suggestions on what might be going wrong here and how to fix it?

Thanks very much to everyone!

Beginner Talk / Re: Lots and lots of footnotes...
« Last post by ContesEtNouvelles on October 04, 2021, 03:44:23 pm »
That's a good question .... that's a very, very good question!

It looks as if all I need is Microsoft Word itself, and Adobe Acrobat Pro to make sure the fonts are embedded.

I think you've probably saved me an awful lot of hard work.

I'm going to see if I can make a cash donation to Scribus; or if not (since I don't see a way to do this via the "Contribute" page at https://www.scribus.net/contribute/, then to some other deserving cause.

Thank you!
PDF Generation / Re: PDF form printing issue - some characters missing
« Last post by Juhele on October 04, 2021, 01:48:11 pm »
I would understand if the issue was with all the PCs but why some PCs/printers print it fine and some not?  :(

I used LibreOffice before for the same task and there was also issue with those characters but found out there is a long time opened bug report for that so it is know issue. And it happened always not just in case of some users.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
palmate