Recent posts

Free discussion / Re: Writing a book with scribu...
Last post by oida - February 25, 2024, 05:54:54 PM
Hallo,

after playing around with Scribus for this weekend i decided to give it a try and do my project with scribus, living with the do's and dont's. For sure i have some open points, but hoipefully all them can be solved  ;D

All the best and stay safe
User Interface / Re: Improve the nodes editing
Last post by tim_occ - February 25, 2024, 05:34:03 PM
Thanks for your description. I checked Vectorpea, Figma, Penpot and Inkscape and compared them.
Vectorpea, Figma and Penpot are very similar, so I will focus on them here only.

If I combined the behavior of Vectorpea, Figma and Penpot it would be like this:
  • Click on a single node, show all controls of neighbor nodes only
  • Click & Drag on a control (2 modes):
    • If controls are symmetric: changes angle of both controls; length of selected one
    • If controls are asymmetric: changes angle and length of selected only
  • Click & Drag + ALT on a control unlink this control (asymmetric)
  • Click & Drag + SHIFT on a control snap angle in 45° steps (or 15° like in Inkscape)
  • Click + CTRL on node (3 modes):
    • If asymmetric controls: link both controls with same length and same angle (symmetric)
    • If symmetric controls: control length of both is 0 (corner node)
    • If corner node: controls get new calculate length and are symmetric

Needed Inputs:
  • Mouse (click + drag)
  • ALT key
  • SHIFT key
  • CTRL key

Modifier:
  • ALT = unlink
  • SHIFT = grid
  • CTRL = mode toggle

Figma and Penpot have additional settings to change the node and controls behavior via separate settings. In case you don't like the keyboard shortcuts or don't know them.
Last post by oida - February 24, 2024, 08:55:45 PM
Quote from: Nermander on February 24, 2024, 02:19:37 PMAlso footnotes and index are things that Scribus does not really handle well yet. Table of contents is (at least was, the last time I looked) frame based in Scribus, not based on headings as in most other programs.
Since i had to type almost all of the recipes creating a TableOfContents based on frames will be ok for me and the handling of the TOC in Scribus looks very easy.
Scripts and Plugins / Monthly Calender - Force lineb...
Last post by Mikrojumbo - February 24, 2024, 04:45:09 PM
Is it possible to force linebreak in the hollidays.txt, eg. if there are multiple birthdays on the same day?
Scripts and Plugins / Re: Monthly-Calendar-Script, s...
Last post by Mikrojumbo - February 24, 2024, 04:40:03 PM
OK, and then it can actualy be done from the settings:

F4-->Par_style_Date-->Character Style-->Advanced Formatting Section-->Baseline offset
Beginner Talk / Re: Pagination of large docume...
Last post by bigal - February 24, 2024, 03:52:51 PM
 Hi AdmFubar, Yes 3GB is correct. The machine does not usually have any memory shortage problems. I regularly run some very large spreadsheets with numerous sheets all of which have thousands of cells and contain very many links, complicated formulae as well as charts. The machine handles all of those without any problems. I also regularly open PDF files of over 600
pages without any problems. The only time I have had any difficulty was with this PDF generated by Scrubus. Never mind though. As I noted in my previous post I have sorted out the worries. Thank you for looking though, I really do appreciate it.
Scripts and Plugins / Re: Monthly-Calendar-Script, s...
Last post by Mikrojumbo - February 24, 2024, 03:46:06 PM
To move text to the top, you have to edit the .py file

line 429 looks like this
setTextVerticalAlignment(ALIGNV_CENTERED, cel)

edit it to this
setTextVerticalAlignment(ALIGNV_TOP, cel)
Last post by bigal - February 24, 2024, 03:39:04 PM
Thank you for that a.l.e. - but where did you add it  please? I would love to try it out but ... I have look at my first post and do not see your mod – or any way to edit editing my first post itself or its heading; also I do not see link under my user name or in Quick links. Can't think where else to look. I know I am getting old and stupid but didn't realise that I was blind as well. Sorry.

------------------

Admin: Sorry, error fixed... and now you found the button and it seems to be working: the [SOLVED] is there : - )
Last post by a.l.e - February 24, 2024, 02:28:27 PM
I have now added (ok, created) a mod with a [SOLVED] button, you can use to mark a topic as solved.

You're welcome to try it out : - )
Last post by Nermander - February 24, 2024, 02:19:37 PM
I would say that since Scribus is mainly a page layout program, it is not very suitable for writing in.

Also footnotes and index are things that Scribus does not really handle well yet. Table of contents is (at least was, the last time I looked) frame based in Scribus, not based on headings as in most other programs.