Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / Will page imposition ever be a built-in feature?
« Last post by barkley on October 08, 2021, 10:47:55 pm »
I've been wondering for years at this point if Scribus will ever implement simple booklet page imposition. Every time I look it up, I see blog posts and wiki pages on the topic, and people asking about it, going back nearly a decade. The answer seems to always be that no one wants it or it is too hard to bother with, and there is a workaround using a set of external tools. In practice I found the workarounds so frustrating and error-prone that I gave up. I purchased proprietary desktop publishing software a couple years ago instead.

I can't be the only one who went this way. I primarily use desktop publishing software to lay out and print homemade zines. I use a home printer to print out imposed pages myself to be hand-stapled, or use a cheap self-serve printer at a shop with a PDF that is already correctly imposed. I had assumed this was a relatively common use case for desktop publishing, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm rooting for Scribus and appreciate what it can do, but this missing feature is a real gap for hobbyists. Is the idea dead in the water? Even the most basic booklet imposition would be a huge boon for zine/comics creators who want to create a physical product.
Beginner Talk / Trouble with absolutely first step with Scribus
« Last post by davidkachel on October 08, 2021, 10:45:32 pm »
I downloaded Scribus yesterday, found the tutorial and started reading it this morning.
The very first step in the tutorial (which apparently needs updating) caused Scribus to crash. First step was to select "Scribus X11" in Edit>Colors. There is no "Edit>Colors". There IS an "Edit>Colors and Fills..." but in the resulting dialog there is no "Scribus X11" option to select. In fact, I can't select anything, nor can I scroll the list, and it is at that point that Scribus crashed.
The instructions say to edit this setting without having a document open. The setting cannot be changed with or without a document being open.
Can I expect this pattern to continue? I wrote a 400+ page book using LibreOffice a couple of years ago but thought Scribus might be better/more versatile. Is it really this buggy? Or did I just get lucky today?
General Discussion / Re: "Interesting" display problems under Linux
« Last post by grue on October 08, 2021, 03:16:25 pm »
The laptop is about 8 years old, it's a 1st generation Thinkpad Helix Ultrabook.  Works fine except for that bug.

Graphics adapter is a Intel HD Graphics 4000. In my other, not affected, device it's  a HD Graphics (BYT) -- it's an ever older Thinkpad 11e using an Atom Z36xx CPU and its integrated graphics.
« Last post by AdmFubar on October 08, 2021, 05:24:44 am »
Ah that might be it... driver was depreciated for the older hardware. I would check the hardware info against what is supported in the kernel to see if there was a change. Or bug was introduced in the current driver.

How old is the affected machine?
See attachment for what 'furigana' means.

Japanese people cannot read documents without furigana.  To not support furigana is to not support Japanese language. 

Japanese language is unique.  Because they merge our English alphabet with hiragana and kanji and katakana, they are not reliant on ability to read advanced kanji without furigana.

Not only that but furigana is used in creative ways nowadays to add to meaning in new ways.  I have seen the kanji for God "神様" with the furigana "ゴッド" (/god/ phonetically) above it so that the kanji 神様 is pronounced /god/ as a kind of pun. 

Without furigana, Japanese is crippled.  You cannot ignore this any more.  Libreoffice and WPS office both support the ability to write in furigana.  Scribus cannot import text with furigana.  This is unacceptable.

Since Libreoffice is open source , their system for furigana support could be grafted into the Scribus story editor. 

It is incredibly frustrating and irritating that this amazing design software cannot be used with Japanese text because furigana has been laid aside as some fringe extra. 

It is not!

Your amazing software is currently USELESS for Japanese people.

Please address this.  People have brought this issue up a decade ago and still nothing has been done.
« Last post by grue on October 07, 2021, 01:09:29 pm »
Same distro, but not same specs. Well, both are Thinkpads, but integrated graphics of the affected computer is of an older version.

Beginner Talk / Re: Page > Import Pages question
« Last post by Jeff in CA on October 07, 2021, 05:43:25 am »
AdmFubar:

File > Import's options for text are Get Text or Append Text. This brings up the same dialogue box as right-click > Get Text. As I understand it, there are almost always at least a few ways of doing the same thing in Scribus, but each one brings up the same pathway. I tried both ways.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
« Last post by AdmFubar on October 06, 2021, 11:20:47 pm »
Have you tried the menue entry File/Import ?? This would bring in all your text. You will need to make enough pages with text frames in them.
« Last post by AdmFubar on October 06, 2021, 11:12:11 pm »
Same specs for the laptop? Same distro?
« Last post by Jeff in CA on October 06, 2021, 08:20:58 pm »
Thanks Nermander. Guess I'll have to go with copy>paste to import sections of my libreoffice document into scribus, and then re-format most of it.

I was extremely happy to see that a test copy>paste (LO to Scribus) preserved the smart (typographical) quotation marks in my text, a big relief as there are more than a thousand in total and in LO it took quite some time to format them correctly. Sadly, citation numbers were there but they lost the superscript formatting I did in LO and I'll have to re-do those in scribus (and there are just over 1000 of those....). And of course all the other formatting except for smart quotes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
palmate