Recent posts

Beginner Talk / Re: Transparency and proper ex...
Last post by scriber - March 28, 2024, 08:52:05 PM
As I read around, that's the golden rule to ensure result exactly as desired. But for online services, how does that work?
Because if they print and send to me a copy to confirm, would be really slow...
Are they usually be able to verify themself with a proof and compare to my digital document (my PDF generated by Scribus)?
Beginner Talk / Re: Transparency and proper ex...
Last post by PatJr - March 28, 2024, 08:39:56 PM
see if they can do a proof before the run
Beginner Talk / Transparency and proper export...
Last post by scriber - March 28, 2024, 07:46:54 PM
I prepared a magazine cover using Scribus. My cover page include also few shapes filled with a transparent color.
As a recap there is:
- a "background" image
- over it a transparent shape
- over again a text frame

Transparent shape is needed to boost contrast between text and its background.

My question: how should I export my work properly to ensure the final printed result preserve what I see on the screen?

The exported PDF seems exactly as expected, but on my screen... I'm going to send it to a print shop for few hundred of copies. How to ensure the same result also on paper?

Thanks in advance!
Text and Typography / Re: Arabic accents not display...
Last post by AdmFubar - March 28, 2024, 02:58:20 PM
Try here for help on this. I'm sure someone there can assist

https://discuss.pixls.us/
Text and Typography / Re: Arabic accents not display...
Last post by srikrishnan - March 28, 2024, 11:14:46 AM
Hi,

is there any other font anybody using without above said issues. if so, please help us to mention that font name?

regards,
Srikrishnan
General Discussion / Re: [TOC] get an attribute dir...
Last post by a.l.e - March 28, 2024, 08:01:29 AM
good morning craig,

the UI looks ok now.

the detection of the entries for the TOC is mostly good.
but, after having created a new page about mixing chained titled and free standing ones, i noticed that some titles on it were not collected.

on page three of the attached document, the two h2 in the chained text are missing from the TOC.
i guess, that it's because of the empty line before the titles.

finally, the reason why i've created page three:

if i recall correctly, in my python script, i keep the titles from the same page and chain together.
and i sort them by the order in the chain, not by the order on the page.
(not very hard to do: process all the next items if they are on the same page; ignore frames with precedent frame on the same page)
it's probably not something that happens very often, and the example on page three is a bit contrived, but if i think of a newspaper with four/five columns and multiple articles per page, then it's a layout that is somehow common.
it's true that newspapers don't have a TOC, but if, in the (near) future, we manage to also generate a PDF TOC, then the order is relevant.

up to you to decide if you think that this use case is legit and if it needs to be supported in this first version of the TOC.

thanks for your work!
a.l.e
General Discussion / Re: Hiring Scribus Experts for...
Last post by BenFranske - March 27, 2024, 05:35:53 PM
Oh I know it can be done pretty easily, I have used Scribus for years myself for much more complex layouts. I'm also confident that our volunteer could handle it after they get some hand holding. It's mostly that we're talking about a 71 year old volunteer who has been using Quark and Photoshop to do this for 30 years and is a bit hesitant to try new things without some hand holding and a layout template to get started which I just don't have capacity to do right now. Self-learning via YouTube is just not going to be very interesting to them, they will want someone they can call or Zoom with to show them how to do the specific things needed to get an issue or two out.

a.l.e. thanks for the offer, if I don't hear from someone more local I may be in touch! I'm sure we could figure out how to get you payment.
Beginner Talk / Re: Compressing the exported ....
Last post by Nermander - March 27, 2024, 05:04:51 PM
Images are often not the reason behind the huge PDFs created by Scribus, if I understand right it is rather the precise placing of text that means the file contains a lot more "placing the cursor" instructions than a "less precise" PDF.

Running it through Ghostscript may be an option.
General Discussion / Re: Hiring Scribus Experts for...
Last post by a.l.e - March 27, 2024, 04:17:35 PM
hi ben

i think that i can create the template in scribus and provide instruction how to use scribus to fill it.

the greatest issue is: how to let you pay me... since i'm not in the US.

if you can't find any help closer to you, get in touch with me...

ciao
a.l.e
Beginner Talk / Re: Compressing the exported ....
Last post by PatJr - March 27, 2024, 03:22:23 PM
I haven't seen one of the publications, but usually you have to cut down on the image size to like 72 or 96 dpi

post up a sample file if you can