Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
PDF Generation / Re: cropping images to the visible part on export
« Last post by Dogil on Today at 06:07:17 pm »
GhostScript devs say this functionality will not be implemented in GS:

"This isn't really feasible. There is no way to know, at the time the image is encoutnered, what portion of it will eventually be visible.

This problem is compounded by the PDF transparency model, we really can't tell whether the portion of the image lying under another object is obscured or contributes to the rendering of that object.

With a great deal of analysis I'm sure this is technically possible, but it would almost certainly require a two pass approach (at least) to identify the Z order of each object, and to determine whether the transparency in force at the time obscrued the underlying image or not.

I'm afraid this is far too much work for what I would have to say is a minority feature"

https://bugs.ghostscript.com/show_bug.cgi?id=704742
Beginner Talk / Re: Choosing from dropdowns
« Last post by toyotadesigner on Today at 05:35:37 pm »
Which macOS version do you run?
Which Scribus version do you run?
Beginner Talk / Choosing from dropdowns
« Last post by vulpeto on November 29, 2021, 08:47:33 pm »
I'm relatively new to Scribus, but I am enjoying it already.
I am not able to use dropdown menus, once I open them, i cannot use the mouse, only the arrow keys, but then I don't know how to select a choice, if I press enter it just opens to change the name. For example on Edit>Colours and Fills>Merge Colour Set.

I am on a mac. I suspect there is a way or a setting that i am missing. Thank you for your help.
Linux / Re: Error 11 Crash on Startup
« Last post by Adrien Hegy on November 29, 2021, 06:00:51 pm »
Hi,

I posted a comment under the Archlinux.org bug tracker with a solution that works for me : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71711

Hi there,

I had a similar problem (#11 signal), I don’t know if it has same origin but what did the job for me :

Use the no-splash option which disable starting screen, after that Scribus start at document creation and seems to work fine.
Following lines from scribus -h gave me this idea (french version, sorry about that) :
-ns, --no-splash Ne pas afficher l'écran de démarrage
-nns, --never-splash Cesse d'afficher l'écran de démarrage au démarrage. Ecrit un fichier vide appelé .neversplash dans ~/.config /scribus
I confirm that using -nns option works even after launching program out of a terminal (from start menu or from a file)

Hope this might help you having Scribus working and maybe debugging the problem.
General Discussion / Re: Scribus immediately crashes
« Last post by Adrien Hegy on November 29, 2021, 05:57:10 pm »
Hi,

I posted a comment under the Archlinux.org bug tracker with a solution that works for me : https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/71711

Hi there,

I had a similar problem (#11 signal), I don’t know if it has same origin but what did the job for me :

Use the no-splash option which disable starting screen, after that Scribus start at document creation and seems to work fine.
Following lines from scribus -h gave me this idea (french version, sorry about that) :
-ns, --no-splash Ne pas afficher l'écran de démarrage
-nns, --never-splash Cesse d'afficher l'écran de démarrage au démarrage. Ecrit un fichier vide appelé .neversplash dans ~/.config /scribus
I confirm that using -nns option works even after launching program out of a terminal (from start menu or from a file)

Hope this might help you having Scribus working and maybe debugging the problem.
« Last post by Nermander on November 28, 2021, 12:38:25 pm »
If I may add: I feel like the quality-loss-by-image-recompression argument is moot because:
1. you should work with lossless compression formats anyway
2. if the loss in quality becomes visible, you already have not enough resolution or a too high compression rate set.
If the function was implemented not considering this, the forums would be flooded by users complaining that their JPEG images look crappy in the PDF (becuase they are not aware of that ticking the "crop images to fram" function will suck on their from camera JPEG images).

3. you could just crop on block boundaries as detailed above.
Yes, but that should then be automatic within the function. Scribus in Open Source, anyone can contribute to the function.
Beginner Talk / Re: Same master page for both left and right side
« Last post by scriber on November 27, 2021, 03:13:43 pm »
Thanks for your reply!
OK I got it...
I'll stay with my current "workflow":
- move pages as needed during layout
- and apply master pages for all the pages range: right MP for all the even pages and left for all the odd ones.

That's all, Thanks again!
Bye
Features / Re: Suggestion: Resize command
« Last post by toyotadesigner on November 27, 2021, 12:15:04 pm »
Solution: Draw a rectangle to the size of the page without margins. Let's say your page is a DIN A4 page 210 mm wide and 297 mm height, with a margin of 10 mm each side.
So the width of your workspace is 190 mm, the height 277 mm, and the new rectangle will cover your workspace.
Now select all elements with your mouse and GROUP them.
Then go to PROPERTIES, click the chain to keep the aspect ratio and type the new size of 100 mm for the width.
The group will rescale, and all enclosed elements will be scaled accordingly.
Now select the group and right click -> UNGROUP.
Pretty straight forward and simple.
General Discussion / Running Scribus from a terminal (Ubuntu)
« Last post by Dee on November 27, 2021, 10:24:05 am »
Launching Scribus from a terminal (Ubuntu). Tell me how to do it? It doesn't work the usual way.
« Last post by Dogil on November 27, 2021, 12:43:16 am »
If I may add: I feel like the quality-loss-by-image-recompression argument is moot because:
1. you should work with lossless compression formats anyway
2. if the loss in quality becomes visible, you already have not enough resolution or a too high compression rate set.
3. you could just crop on block boundaries as detailed above.
4. if you have a pdf which is too large because of large but only partially visible images, you have the choice over saving the whole image in a crap resolution or cropping the small part which you actually need. Re-compression artifacts will be the lesser evil by far in this case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10