Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / Borked Document - SLA Validation Script?
« Last post by Derek on January 12, 2022, 02:11:41 pm »
I've just borked a document that, due to other issues (bedding in a new PC) is already past it's deadline. It's a monthly magazine.

I tried to copy some objects from a previous edition (something I have done many times in the past). It placed the object in the new edition, but that object is not selectable on any layer and cannot be moved, edited, or deleted. It shows in the preview mode so I'm self-confident it'll exist in a pdf too.

Undo does not do anything to back me out of the problem and the autosaved version will have been overwritten. I do not have a start-of-day isolated backup (that'll change from now on). The corrupt objects don't show up in the Preflight Verifier, nor do they appear in Greg Pittman's "extract_frames.py - Extracts the names of text and image frames."

Any fix will have to be quick and easy if I'm to dig my way out of this. Is there a script or utility that can help me dig through the SLA file and remove the corruption - or am I limited to Scribus and 'iBall' in a text editor?

Fixing the document is probably more important than identifying exactly how/why it got corrupted (at this stage) though they are, of course, likely to be interrelated.

Beginner Talk / Configuring Render Frames
« Last post by larose_andrea on January 12, 2022, 01:14:13 pm »
Dear Forum,

I am just starting to use Scribus and am going through the manual on the wiki. I plan on using music notation, so I was happy to see that you can embed LilyPond into the program (as opposed to exporting Finale files as graphics, but I digress...). I thought I'd test drive this feature but when I tried to create a render frame, I got the following error message as soon as I clicked on the tool icon:
"Your Render Frame configuration seems to be invalid. Please check the settings in the External Tools section of the Preferences dialog."

What settings do I need to enter in order to make this work? I have LilyPond installed, but I can't really parse the External Tools section to understand what I should change. I am not seeing this information in the documentation on the wiki.

Your help is appreciated.

cheers,
Andrea
Text and Typography / Re: Phantom A's & Arabic glyphs within text box after saving
« Last post by AdmFubar on January 11, 2022, 11:53:19 pm »
Not knowing what fonts you are using makes it harder to verify on my end. I'd swap out the font and see if the undesired effect persists. If so then you may have found a bug.
Text and Typography / Re: Phantom A's & Arabic glyphs within text box after saving
« Last post by JodyNoel on January 11, 2022, 07:32:51 pm »
Hi there! I appreciate your suggestion. It definitely looks like it would be something like that. But sadly that doesn't work either. I do think you're correct that it's the fonts. Have a nice week.  :)
PDF Generation / Re: Blurb
« Last post by AdmFubar on January 11, 2022, 06:50:14 am »
I dug around the Blurb website and found this little gem
"Microsoft Word sometimes has issues creating a compliant PDF file. Create a PDF/X-1a file when exporting. Some users have had success by printing to a postscript file and using Adobe Distiller to create a compliant PDF."
are you exporting your work as a PDF/X-1?
« Last post by AdmFubar on January 11, 2022, 06:03:40 am »
Could this be a "Show Control Characters" issue?  Check View/Text Frames/Show Control Characters is checked.If that isnt the case it may be an issue with the font. Try changing the font and see if that "removes" the "A" from showing.
« Last post by Nermander on January 10, 2022, 09:05:07 pm »
Scribus developers should contact Blurb (support@blurb.com) to see where the problem lies.

That's not how open source development works.

Anyone identifying an issue with Scribus should report it in the bug tracker.

Until then, I would say the issue is with Blurb and not Scribus.
« Last post by phdeletree on January 10, 2022, 06:38:39 pm »

Scribus developers should contact Blurb (support@blurb.com) to see where the problem lies.

Nice people, here is their last email with me:
Hello Philippe,

Thanks for keeping me posted.
Yes, Scribus is a concern for us, but in general most files print correctly.

I wish you a good weekend, if you need anything else do not hesitate.
Cordially,

Melissa
Blurb Customer Service

------------------------------------------------------------- fr -----------------------------------------------------------------

Les développeurs de scribus devraient contacter Blurb ( support@blurb.com ) pour voir avec eux où se situe le problème.

Des gens sympha, voilà leur dernier mail avec moi :
Bonjour Philippe,

Merci de m'avoir tenue au courant.
Oui, Scribus nous pose quelques soucis mais en général la plupart des fichiers s'impriment correctement.

Je vous souhaite un bon weekend, si vous avez besoin d'autre chose n'hésite pas.
Cordialement,

Melissa
Service Client Blurb
« Last post by Nermander on January 09, 2022, 05:49:28 pm »
According to engineers at Blurb, the problem is with Scribus.

Unless they can explain what error Scribus does I would not trust that statement.

If Scribus does something wrong, the developers would of course want to know the issue so they can fix it.
Beginner Talk / Re: Hanging link from text frame on last page of document
« Last post by peterh on January 08, 2022, 07:53:48 pm »
Thanks, utnik.  It worked perfectly, and the .sla file is now clean.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
palmate